Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:18 PM

Default New Member - Which Bike Question

Hey guys, new to the group but looks like a heap of good stuff going on so looking forward to contributing.

I'm based in Australia and looking to get onto my first Gas Gas but am chasing some advice from you all first.
I'm looking at an EC 300 between 2011-2016, but want some feedback on what people like and don't like about the newer series compared to the older series bikes.
I've read so far that a lot of people highly rate the 10-11 model but it is maybe let down a little by the forks. 12-13 new series had some teething problems that were fairly well sorted by 14. 14 onwards changed to the reiger shock with the PFP front end (or was that 15?) and 15 onwards had the externally adjustable power valve.

Considering I would class myself as a capable trail rider / weekend warrior, certainly not a racer by any stretch, I appreciate both these bikes are going to be more capable than me!
My current dirt steed is a 92 KDX 250 I've had since I was 15 (now 36), so any upgrade to something built in the last decade is going to feel like stepping out of an Amish village after 20 years on the inside!

That said, I want to make sure I am getting maximum bang for my buck when I buy, so I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback on whether I should go for a clean but older 10-11 or maybe hang out for a newer model that will stretch my budget further.

Thanks in advance legends.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:56 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Buy on condition. Dirtbikes are often ridden hard and put away wet. Best to go see in flesh than pretty armouralled plastic pictures.

A mate went from 92 kdx200 to 2010 300 and is still burko about it.

But you have me thinking. Bet those Amish wimmen could be right ravers on the absolution wine.
(dont fact check that, I kinda made up a new religious reason to drink).
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 03-10-2021, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Buy on condition. Dirtbikes are often ridden hard and put away wet. Best to go see in flesh than pretty armouralled plastic pictures.

A mate went from 92 kdx200 to 2010 300 and is still burko about it.

But you have me thinking. Bet those Amish wimmen could be right ravers on the absolution wine.
(dont fact check that, I kinda made up a new religious reason to drink).
Thank you mate, that is sound advice and agree totally.

The theory should be easy enough to test by finding a nice Amish girl who is out for Rumspringa and see where the absolution wine takes the evening
Old 03-10-2021, 05:58 AM

I went from a 2006 EC200 to a 2015 EC200. I didn't sell the '06, as I tend to keep bikes in case they should be needed in the future . But the fact of the matter is, I have never missed the 06. I still push it around my storage space, but it hasn't been used since I got used to the '15.

The '11 is the latest incarnation of the "early EC" theme. Bikes from the early 2000s up to 11 are quite similar when it comes to frame geometry etc. These bikes are very good, but smaller than the later ones. The '15 suits me better, the suspension is very good, etc.

There are mixed experiences with the Marzocchi PFP forks, some have experienced premature wear. My bike / fork has done 320 hours, the fork still looks fine on the inside. I have revalved it for my style (old and slow) The Reiger is on the 15 and 17, I think the 14 came with Ohlins, or was it Reiger even then ? Reiger makes excellent products. I have upgraded to an even better Reiger, and am very happy with both shock and forks.

So my advice (provided you are as tall as me, approx 180cm) would be to look for a 14, 15 or 17 model.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc

Last edited by Anders; 03-11-2021 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:45 PM

Hi Anders, thanks for your comprehensive reply.
I am about 186cm so certainly fit that criteria of being suited to the larger bike.
I had heard of people having issues with premature wear on the marzocchi forks, but thought that was more common to the 45mm shiver fork, i'll certainly keep it in mind if looking at a PFP equipped bike.
I love the look of the 14-17 bikes so I'm hoping I can find one within my price range!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:40 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Hi,
I came off a '96 KDX to a 2002 gasgas. Ohlins/WP nice bike. Not much turns in the bush like a KDX though.
2010 Gasgas- PFP Marzocchi/Sachs. Slow technical single track it's good. Fast/open stuff it will try to kill you. Good looking bike but assembled with a box of fittings from a garage sale. My Marzocchi's were assembled by an 8 year old in a sand pit.
2014 gasgas factory- Marzocchi/Reiger. Real nice bike. Turns, smooth power, stable at speed, much better assembled.Reiger excellent. Marzocchi ok with a bit of work.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Matt View Post
I love the look of the 14-17 bikes so I'm hoping I can find one within my price range!
I got mine very cheap back in 2015, when the Gasgas factory was on it's way down. Noone dared to buy it, as they feared the parts situation etc. It had done less than 40 hours, I got it for the equivalent of 3500 Euro.
Luckily, the brand was rescued by Torrot, and production continued in 2017. The parts situation is still OK, now via Rieju. Rieju can be slow, but I have got everything I have needed through the Norwegian importer.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 03-12-2021, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg3 View Post
Hi,
Not much turns in the bush like a KDX though.
I believe you mean "not much turns in the bush like a KDX 200 / 220
The 250's were a horrible handling bike. Heavy (steel frame instead of ChroMo), over damped and under sprung, very hard to get over the front of when sitting. Stonking motor with torque like a tractor but totally let down by the handling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I got mine very cheap back in 2015, when the Gasgas factory was on it's way down. Noone dared to buy it, as they feared the parts situation etc. It had done less than 40 hours, I got it for the equivalent of 3500 Euro.
Luckily, the brand was rescued by Torrot, and production continued in 2017. The parts situation is still OK, now via Rieju. Rieju can be slow, but I have got everything I have needed through the Norwegian importer.
That's a great deal! Also good to know that parts are still available through Rieju.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:01 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Matt View Post
I believe you mean "not much turns in the bush like a KDX 200 / 220
The 250's were a horrible handling bike. Heavy (steel frame instead of ChroMo), over damped and under sprung, very hard to get over the front of when sitting. Stonking motor with torque like a tractor but totally let down by the handling!

That's a great deal! Also good to know that parts are still available through Rieju.
yeah,only had KDX 200's.Never got to ride a 250.