Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Default Will a KTM clutch hose fit the banjo bolt on my GG slave cylinder?

After long and exhaustive efforts to get a lighter clutch lever pull on my '08 EC300, I'm ready to try swapping the stock AJP clutch master cylinder for a Magura unit off of a late model KTM.

Having tried every strategy I can think of (short of removing springs from the clutch) to lighten the lever pull, I see no other option than trying a different brand of m/c. The appearance of the clutch hose where it attaches to the slave cylinder is substantially identical on both my GG and any post-2012 2T KTM.

What I have not determined is whether the KTM clutch hose banjo fitting is the correct diameter to fit my GG banjo bolt.

Anyone tried this modification? Will it work? Did it help?

The clutch pull on my bike has always been stiff and it's kind of a pain on a long, technical ride.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:31 PM

Are you sure the problem is with the AJP M/C? I have the AJP on my 2010 and the clutch pull is super light, maybe even a tad lighter than the pull on a friends 2012 KTMBerg with a Brembo M/C.

Sorry, but I don't know about the KTM Magura M/C fitting on the Gasser.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:07 PM

Can't say for sure it's the m/c, but here's what I've done.

1. disassembled entire clutch, looked for damage, wear, anything odd, etc.
. . All seems normal.
2. Replaced clutch sprigs with new OE springs.
3. rebuilt slave cylinder (Also, tried another, DOT 4 slave cylinder - see below).
4. Replaced clutch hose with new OE hose.
5. Replaced original AJP clutch M/C (which uses mineral oil) with an older,
DOT 4 master cylinder (also an AJP off of a Gas Gas).
6. Rebuilt my original master cylinder.

You mentioned that your '10 bike has a light clutch pull. I had an '05 EC200
that had a one-finger clutch, which was awesome. Was a bit surprised that this bike has a heavy clutch pull. FYI, according to the GG parts lists, all of the EC
models use the same clutch springs, clutch plates, , slave cylinder, hose. The m/c only changes by year (DOT 4 earlier models, / mineral oil later).

What else is there to check, change?

By the way, the clutch works great. Smooth, progressive, never seems to get hot. Just a stiff pull at the lever.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:49 PM

Sounds like you've tried almost everything. If you've already swapped the m/c and slave cylinders with no affect, I don't know if a swap to a different brand m/c will make a difference? But for the money, can't hurt though!

Are the clutch plates and fibres OE or the DP kit or something else - if you know or can tell? I know you inspected it, but given that the m/c and slave swaps didn't make a difference, it seems like the problem may be with the clutch or push rod.

Hopefully smarter folks than me will chime in with some ideas.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:37 AM

As far as I know, clutch plates and friction plates are the original OE plates
(bought the bike from a AA rider with one season on it).

The push rod is straight. The metal "plunger" that bears against the pushrod and pushes the clutch apart seems also to be in fine shape.

One other note: when i've had the chance to try the clutch pull on other GG bikes, about 1/3 have a lever pull similar to my bike and about 2/3 have a lighter pull (though only my old '05 200 had a one-finger, trials bike pull).
Old 12-11-2014, 10:55 AM

Go pull the clutch lever on a cable-equipped Japanese bike. Yours will feel fine then.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:15 PM

short answer. yes. the banjo bolt is 10mm
Old 12-11-2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks! My son has a 2013 KTM. I'll probably borrow his M/c & hose and try it before investing the $150.00 it will cost on e-bay. If it solves my problem, it will be money well spent!