Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:12 PM

Default First ride on a new bike!

Early this spring i bought a well used 2002 Gasgas EC250 from Dave Fair in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. I paid $3200 shipped to my local freight carrier. When i got it it had a fairly dented Messico pipe, stock silencer, worn front brake pads, brand new 13:48 drive, freshly re-built front fork, stock Ohilins shock, stock jetting, worn old red plastics, and you get the point. I replaced the brake pads, wired up a new kill switch and beat the crap out of it. Lots of fun times later i over heated quite a bit at the top of a nasty mountain hike. After that i decided to see if the stock impuller was worn like what has been seen befor on this bike. Pulled the bike right donw to the frame (rolling chassie) and replaced the top end, Put on a LTR power valve cover, LTR jetting kit, FMF Gnarly pipe, FMF TC2 Silencer, Moose Racing Steel bars, UFO handgaurds, Scorpion Racing Skid plate and rad gaurds, used blue plastcs i bought from a fellow Gasgasrider.org member (except the rear fender), Guts seat, Clark tank, and thats about it.

Befor i did the rebuild i installed the LTR jetting kit and found it helped out alot with bottom end sputter, and easy jetting for around my alt (1900-2300FT). The power was smooth with a nice pull all the way through. It was actualy kind of boring. Good for long rides and tight nasty terrain besides the lack of low end grunt. Still a verey fast bike but deceptively so. It was so smooth that all that power all went to the ground. The only place i did not like it was big long hill climbs but i still could hang with anyother 250 2 stroke and some 450 4 strokes. The 6th gear is great for an overdrive when you hit a long strech of ridding. Pulls away from any MX bike there. In the woods the belt feels light and tracks very well. The suspension is very balanced and both work great but need to be stiffer for my 255lb butt.

All in all i was very happy with this set-up and not ralle wanting anything more than suspension set0up for me.

Now with all the new parts installed the bike is a different animal. Having installed a new top end, FMF Granrly, FMF TC2, LTR powervalve cover, and new reeds i am unsure what did what but i am sure of the end result. FUN!!!!!!

It was about +7deg C out, been very wet latley, fairly dark out (thank god for the headlight). I am running 185 Main, 45 Pilot, LTR needle in #3 position. Running 91 octane (highest we can get here), and mixing Amsoil Dominator at 50:1.

Started the bike first kick, lots of smoke and let her warm up and took off out of the drive way. Scooted down the road ( 200-300FT) and hit the trail. The trail is mostly ATV wide, hard packed, deep ruts, roots, and logs fallen. Due to rain there was lots of mud and water crossings. The trail has a section of sand with hills and a beaver dam crossing. Have a small 1 or 2 KM loop burnt in. Not anything extream or hard but fun and close to the house. To say the leat traction was not at its best, but i am used to ridding like this. Its ok because i have a smooth powered Gasgas between my legs.

As soon as i got into the trails i opened here up. It took a bit to clean up the plug from the rich jetting but once it happended it was it was a rush! The bottom end was super strong that went into a mid section hit that would play with 250 MX bikes. The top end was fair and about the same as befor. Keeping the bike stright was a chore because it was so fun to just wack open the throttle and feel that hit. When i was thinking it was very easy to keep things up right. My small sand hill climb was great. The bike just pulled it a gear higher than normaly. It was great fun. Also, it being dark was really cool too. I had never ridden befor in the dark and it was just amazing. Makes the trails even harder.

So, thats about it. If you ever feel you need more excitment in your Gasgas try a few of these mods and see what happens. It becomes a different bike. Best part is if i need to i can easly bring it back to stock.

I will update tomorrow with new jetting. I cant belive how much fun it was consedering i dont even have the correct jetting yet.

Will be interesting to see what the RB-desinges Carb and head mod will do to the power as well. Here are the befor and after pics for now. I will clean it up later for some good pics. THANKS!!!

P.S. Sorry for any and all problems i have made for Moderators, Companys, and Memberd alike. I will try to be a better member from here on in. Thanks for putting up with me.

Clean befor a got it.

Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 PM

Now (dirty, couldnt help but ride it)

Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 PM

Old 09-27-2008, 10:22 PM

Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 PM

Old 09-28-2008, 09:00 AM

Really nice job and an excellent looking scoot. I have to admit I'm a total sucker for the blue/white color (I always have some blue on my KTM's as it's one of their original colors). And I looooooove the looks of that seat cover. Scorpion skid plate looks interesting. How does it fit/mount up?

Skidad
Old 09-28-2008, 09:06 AM

The fit was good besides the part where the pipe meets the cylinder. I simply took out the Dremel and took one eigth of an inch off the top and it fit nicley. The oild drain bolt lines up fine as well. It would be cool to have the Heavy Duty skid plate but at $100 this one did the trick. I am going to contact Steve and Scorpion Racing and tell him about this so he can fix later models and possibly make a Heavy Duty one. Thanks for the complments.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:06 PM

Some pics of her clean(er)

Old 09-28-2008, 08:08 PM

More

Old 09-28-2008, 08:08 PM

Last ones