Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 06-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Base valve free bleed, what does it do?

As far as I have read, most people here are satisfied with their stock fork valving (with just a liitle more HS rebound damping).

The EC/DE models have quite a lot of free bleed in the base valve as seen in pobit's posts. Now the FSE '05 has NO free bleed, (no bleed hole, valve face shims cover ports completely, and they are doubled too).

I was kinda hoping that adding some free bleed to my FSE base valve would help get rid of its harshness and deflection problems. I have tried all kinds of settings and valvings, but recently i went back to stock FSE three stage stack, but removed one of the double face shims, and now finally I am getting some progress in the deflection problem. Not good but better.

So what is the purpose of all that free bleed on the EC models?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
So what is the purpose of all that free bleed on the EC models?
To try and stop fork stiction..

The suspension guru here in Australia performs a mod to the front forks and works well to stop stiction. http://www.shocktreatment.com.au/
He did this to my bike + a revalve and the front is magic.. He said they use a large amount of free bleed in the valves..

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 06-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The free bleed lets the fork move through the stroke easily initially. I used to add a bleed shim on KTM's to make them absorb the little stuff without deflecting. I think the 05 FSE is already soft enough but when changing to springs that are stiff enough for even the average rider then the rebound is too fast causing that deflection feeling, when they are just rebounding to quickly.