Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 10-17-2010, 11:49 AM

Thumbs up LTR Ohlins

I rode my Gasser for the 1st time since getting the forks and shocks back from LTR. Because I grew up riding in the prairie with no trees in sight I'm really new at woods riding and single track also finding traction on rocks and leaves can be like riding on greased marbles. That said, when I did my part the suspension was spot on. On the occasion that I picked the right line on balance the bike hooked up and flew (if only I could consistently do that). I think if I changed anything it would be further from perfect. I think the set up will work on any terrain I care to ride. Kudos to LTR

Old 10-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Yes Les really knows his stuff. Friendly and easy to talk to.

Since you're new to rocks and roots etc. Have you considered a Trials tire?

The tire on my XC needs changing soon and I have a Mitas ET-01 Trials standing by(I went out and looked).
I run a Michelin X11 on my other Gasser but the Mitas has a stronger side wall which should suit the 300 just fine...I hope.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175

Last edited by HuskyDude; 10-24-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post
Yes Les really knows his stuff. Friendly and easy to talk to.

Since you're new to rocks and roots etc. Have you considered a Trials tire?

The tire on my XC needs changing soon and I have a Mitas ET Trials standing by.
I run a Michelin X11 on my other Gasser but the Mitas has a stronger side wall which should suit the 300 just fine...I hope.
Yes I have considered a trials tire. I'm currently running Pirelli MT 32 and MT 44 knobbies back and front, they seem to be wearing pretty good but I'm sure they are not ideal for the rocks and logs. As far as the loose rocks with leaves (aka greased marbles), I don't think any tire is going to do great. Each time I ride I change my set up a little, crash a couple of times and learn a little more that needs to be done for next time. I guess that's the fun of it.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:10 AM

Thumbs up

I think Husky Dude meant Pirelli MT43. That's what I'm using on my 4t and can't believe how much better it is on roots! Actually just about everything except deep loose sand. I would think U should be able to hook up much better in those wet leaves U talk about with a trials tire.
I'll be getting a MT43 for my 2t for next summer.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM

Trials tires don't help in leaves, as the leaves act as a lube between the adhesion of the tire and the obstacle/dirt underneath. Its not terrible but not as good by any means. Leaves on dirt are best handled with a good knobby. Leaves on rocks I'll run a trials and expect less.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Trials tires don't help in leaves, as the leaves act as a lube between the adhesion of the tire and the obstacle/dirt underneath. Its not terrible but not as good by any means. Leaves on dirt are best handled with a good knobby. Leaves on rocks I'll run a trials and expect less.
I think leaves are probably like deep slick mud.. No tire works great and you just have to pick the lesser of evils. In this stuff the knobby just rolls the rocks out from under and digs a trench.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 PM

I guess what I'm hoping is that a trials tire will minimize the evils of leaf covered marbles.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Site Sponsor

a trails tire is not a do all tire.... trials tire will be less than effective in wet/slick conditions. i like tirals tires for some things, but imo tubliss with knobby is best of both worlds. you get the low pressure grippiness, and the cornering and 'piercing' effect of the knobs in slick conditions. trials tires don't penetrate mud, they kinda skid on top of it...and they load up and become a slick if it's sticky mud..
since switching to tubliss/mx31 (6psi) about a year ago, i've never once said 'i wish i had more traction'

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com