Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 AM

A couple of people have mentioned the fear of falling whilst standing, and a few replies have been to treat it as part of riding (the falling, not the fear.)

I have spent most my adult life practicing Aikido, which I found really handy when I got back into trials (which, btw, is the best bit of advice that's been on this thread ~ Get a trials bike and live on it for a year)

The first thing I was taught all those years ago was how to fall without hurting myself. How to roll etc.
But more importantly to think about falling, for it to be a continuation of the action your performing (in this case riding)

I don't mean plan or decide how to fall as it happens.
There wouldn't be time at full speed, although when trials riding you are quite often stood still during or just after a move, and can actually decide where to go if you can't get your balance back.
No, I mean in the same way that a a novice road rider might panic if the back wheel stepped out and an experienced off roader is almost always in a controlled drift, regard falling (or tumbling ) as part of the whole process and your reaction changes from "Oh s**t to "Lol, here we go again"

Old 02-26-2013, 12:53 AM

I am currently re learning my skills. I have had alot of experience when I was younger standing up and handling my bike. Apparently my shift to sport bikes messed with skills more than i knew. I am also heavier which leads to getting tired alot faster. Mostly I am able to ride almost anything and handle most obsticles by sitting/hovering over my seat. Standing Is definately where its at though.. but I am also struggling with the front wheel washout fear. The biggest difference I have noticed with standing is my ability to change my body position faster as well as being able to pre load my suspension for various situations. Hopefully I will regain lost skills and re learn standing while using my controls.
STREET_ GTR 1400 (The Connie)
93 KDX 200 (Katie)
Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM

I've got the opposite problem - I haven't ridden on the road for many years, so I went to a refresher lesson last week.
The instructor got me to do some tight turns and I instinctively stuck my inside foot out & forward. Then on some super slow twisty turns I stood up on the pegs (which frankly looks ridiculous on a GN125!)
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Cool standing up

No matter what. Practice makes perfect.And weight the out side peg.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john r b View Post
No matter what. Practice makes perfect.And weight the out side peg.
I've read to weight the inside peg...... Seems mostly new idea to me. I always thought same as you...especially when running tighter fast turns with no berm.
93 KDX 200 (Katie)
Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
I've read to weight the inside peg...... Seems mostly new idea to me. I always thought same as you...especially when running tighter fast turns with no berm.
There is no hard and fast rules in it. Weighting the inside peg tips the bike over nicely, but I'm sure its something we all do almost unconsiously to initiate a turn. Another way to change your thinking and help remember to get the weight back to the outside peg is to think that you are pulling up on the outside grip (instead of pushing the inside down). Your weight is almost always constanlty transferring left and right up and down back and forward. As the rider you want to remain neutral to the forces of the bike and somewhat at right angles to the ground in turns. If you tip the bike over you need to shift your weight to you can still sit up. This only really leaves the outside peg to stand and pivot on.

Seat time seat time seat time. The more time you spend feeling what works and learning what doesn't, the sooner your body will start just doing its thing. I find the worst days for me are the ones where I'm riding crap and need to think about what I'm doing. The good days it all just comes together effortlessly.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 PM

Seat time seat time seat time.... Or do you mean feet time lol. Anyway you look at it you couldn't be more right.
93 KDX 200 (Katie)