Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Super Crosser Andrew Short went paleo about two years ago.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:32 PM

I first heard of Paleo on this forum and did my research. I'm 56 and in fairly good shape (6ft & 200#) but a 2 hour hare scramble will take it out of me, way worse if I have to pick up the bike much. I started Paleo 10 days ago along with an 'ease into it' exercise plan. No doctor, just my common sense & research. I have started a 'hard' walk (my knees don't like a jog) program in which I walk through the woods along my m/c trails, basically cross country, my goal is to get to 4 MPH average for a 2 hour period. I climb hills, go down hills, walk logs & follow the creek beds. I have been fairly strict but not knife edged on my diet. No grains, refined sugars or dairy, plenty of fruits & veggies, & using coconut or olive oil only. Bacon, sausage, eggs, chicken, fish, & beef & lots of it. I feel like I'm eating a lot more....just better stuff.
My first walk attempt was for 36 minutes, I managed a 3 mph avg but boy was I gassed, on Monday (8 days) I managed a 3.3 mph BUT went for an hour and 2 minutes so I have improved. I feel better in the mornings and after my walk I'm not completely gassed out. As of this morning I am down 8 lbs also. At this point I'm a believer, I truly feel better- before & after
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 PM

All this talk of Paleo diet is making me interested to find more info... As far as the race goes.. I've been using Accelerade ..a protein powered sports dringk with good results. It's supposed to work well before , during and after the race.. It has carbs and protein. blah blah blah. I just know it helps. I've had to adjust to figuring how I will last. I'm diabetic and I've been hurtin bad on a couple of occasions until adjusting with stuff like this.. My setup is to be drinking this stuff before racing and my race camelback will have half orange juice, ice and water and Accelerade .. then after the race I just keep drinking this. I usually set up 2 camelback bladders ..It's heavier but for me it's better. I've come back with only one sucked completely out and dry mouthing it in.. For you the orange juice probably isn't as important but it worked well for me and still my sugars were good when I came in after a race.. Typical hare n hounds are in the 4 or 5 hour range depending. I also keep some granola bars or whatever tin my pack too..the gels might be good to do . I didn't like the ones I've tasted but I should go back and try different ones just to see. My liquid intake with the accelerade and juice, water ice is the best so far. I feel good coming out. The last long race was good energy wise. It's especially important being diabetic..

Last edited by hawaiidirtrider; 03-15-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 AM

I've done some quick reading including athlete related paleo and what they describe is not unlike what I eat and try to eat now. Good, lean protein, and veggies. Always a salad with oil and Balsalmic. Sometimes a steak. Cut way down on carbs, and no processed snack foods. Good fat, but low saturated fat. What threw me Rick was your bacon snacks. I just can't eat stuff that drips grease anymore, turns my stomach. I think I'd puke on the trail. Like Mike I was not that way before.

Fred,

Being in real good shape is a major advantage in the Super Senior(50 - 60 yrs here) harescrambles class. If your last lap is the fastest or at least not slower than the rest you have a lot of guys beat before the flag drops. What works for me is TRX, an intense full body core centered workout. It can be approached in many ways but I suggest at first you find an instructor and take a few classes. It will kick your a$$ especially at first. I was in a rut with weights, machines, etc. until I found this. I had a good instructor and man did I respond, lost about 15 lbs and got a lot stronger, independent of diet. Now all I do is TRX and run some, and will bicycle more now with spring coming.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Red face

Bacon was all I had left in the RV fridge on race morning.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Fred,
Being in real good shape is a major advantage in the Super Senior(50 - 60 yrs here) harescrambles class. If your last lap is the fastest or at least not slower than the rest you have a lot of guys beat before the flag drops. What works for me is TRX, an intense full body core centered workout. It can be approached in many ways but I suggest at first you find an instructor and take a few classes. It will kick your a$$ especially at first. I was in a rut with weights, machines, etc. until I found this. I had a good instructor and man did I respond, lost about 15 lbs and got a lot stronger, independent of diet. Now all I do is TRX and run some, and will bicycle more now with spring coming.
Thanks Glen,
I'll check out the TRX. My measuring stick for food- If the food can't go bad, then it's probably not good for you.......
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 AM

GMP did you read some of Loren Cordain early stuff on saturated fat? He has changed some of the things he said early on.
Saturated fat is not harmful.
http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/05-26/...rol-really-ok/
If people are going to try paleo please make sure you are getting enough fat. Low fat consumption is the number one reason people fail at this diet. They try to remove all carbs and reduce fat intake also because they think fat will give them CVD. They will complain of low energy levels.
You can only fuel the human body on two things fat or carbs. You are way safer doing with fat. Saturated fats are also very important for proper brain function.
If you are worried about cholesterol have your Doc do a particle size test.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 PM

The veggie oil industry spent billions of dollars in the 1970s & 80s indoctrinating people to favor "Polyunsaturated fat" as being good. Anybody remember William Shatner shilling for "Promise Margarine?"

Going on the nutristrategy.com web site (pro Shatner, it appears), all of the oils that paleos are taught to avoid (corn, soy, canola...) are poly (not just mono) unsaturated.

While some newbies on paleo might eat less fat than they should, I tend to forget to eat enough carbs. That's why I have yams at the ready. I feel the the combo of fat (mostly olive oil on salad for me, it seems) and a bit of starch buffers me pretty well from a blood sugar standpoint.

That's why the paleo endurance athlete writers are correct. Fat is wonderful fuel for a couple hours. After that, it's either Yam Power or some sort of in-CamelBak dilute sugar source. Maybe I'll make my own out of dextrose.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 PM

My brother is having that test done. Both he and I have high total and LDL, and very high HDL(good), as did my dad. No CVD family history. We suspect things are not as bad as current numbers indicate, and have refused the liver trashing statin drugs.

Rick,

Problem with too much sugar in the water pack is it slows absorbution.