Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

For the roof I used hi-five 2-1 with gels and was happy with it, I think hamer has a similar product, the key is that it has protein in it and for a long race you need to feed your muscles. Boyscout had a thread on here that outlined some good methods as well with a weigh protein shake every time he pitted

Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 AM

4 years ago i did the ozark 100 miler thought i was hydrated good got a good start was in the top 3 in my class buy the 35 mile mark and my body started breaking down i had burned so much energy standing up and sitting down runing race pace that i started having bad leg spazms witch ended my day early. pace your self in the race eat lots of pasta the day before and the day off use lots of salt to retain water the week before just my 2cents the video is last years 100miler http://youtu.be/0_iKYTUDsWo
Old 03-09-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
...i started having bad leg spazms witch ended my day early.
Those hurt like hell ! Sometimes I get them near the end but I usually get them after, like on the drive home when I get out of the truck for a coffee or at a restaurant.
People look at you funny when you're rolling around on the ground in pain next to your truck. Some even ask if they can help. Maybe some day it will be a hottie that would massage my thighs.
Potassium (kiwis, bananas, etc.) for at least the week before seems to help some. And lots of water, of course.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 AM

If you can stomach it, drink an iced down Pedialyte before the race, especially if its warm out. Camelback I run water/sports drink mix. This really helps avoid cramps which are from electrolyte defeciency. I have no problem with Power bars/Protein bars on the trail or at gas as long as I drink pleny of water with them, but everyone is different. Avoid a lot of sugar, that instant oatmeal is full of sugar. I usually have a big breakfast early AM, like ham, eggs, omltet, etc. and a big protein bar before the start. Especially in HS races that start a bit later.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

E-lyte sports drink. you can buy a concentrate and mix your own. Helped a lot 2 years ago when we were riding the forest (houston, tx) in the extreme summer heat (drought). Really helped with stopping cramps. A lot of long distance bikers use it.
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:04 PM

I see lots of talk about carbs and carbo loading. Nothing about fat intake.

Two months ago I did a rocky, 80 mile restart enduro fueled with bacon and yams. In my hydration pack was a home brew solution of water, a pinch of salt, and a squeeze of lime (electrolytes).

For last weekend's 80 mile hare scramble (28-mile loops), I added to this concoction (stored in bottles, not my pack), coconut water (electrolytes), raw eggs, canteloupe, strawberry, raspberries, and blueberries and blended them all up. This worked fine as I pitted each lap because the long sand washes had everybody burning gas at higher rates. Energy levels stayed up and I was well-hydrated as I was constantly tempted to pull over to pee.

I think I might add some fat to the drink (another egg or maybe some olive or coconut oil).
Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 PM

I'm going to pass on that until you show me some before and after blood work. I understand the protein part but all the fat is a bit much for me.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 PM

I, on the other hand, don't see the reliance on protein while foregoing fat (fuel). As it turns out, I am having a full panel later next week. . I'm as curious as you.

As for "all that fat," i just note that some are advocating going with little or no fat for hours during fairly exertive activity. The body functions well by metabolizing fat up to a point - I have to sugar up after a out two hours. Fat is part of a healthy diet. Just wondering where it is on race day?

Lastly, on the subject of "carbo-loading," look all around your starting rows. See those bellies? Most of them have been carbo-loading for decades. It's called the modern American diet.

Last edited by AZRickD; 03-11-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:47 PM

I take all my food advice from my paleo buddy.
48 years old.
I got rid of carbs and fuel with fat everyday. Blood work is better now at 48 than when I was 28.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 AM

It almost sounds like the optimum canine diet. I have two ripped pitbulls that eat that way.

Seriously, I'm sure it works if you can take it serious and stick to it. My problem is integrating something like this in a family setting. If you just manage your own food than no big deal.