Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I used to be a Knight fan, after his child like reaction in Vegas, I don't feel the same connection to him. I still respect his talent and ability, but now I hope he loses. I was openly rooting for Taddy at LMS. From what I was feeling from the crowd, they were rooting for Taddy too! Dude messed up in Vegas.....

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F

Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 PM

What he should have done was offer Taddy a "bonus" before the race to let him win the $50K bonus. I'm sure he didn't believe anyone could beat him though.

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 02-05-2008, 10:13 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit9 View Post
What is the fascination with EnduroX???? I find it boring, synthetic, lame, sort of like football on astro turf in a domed stadium, ie w/o substance.

Enduro belongs in the woods on singletrack, in the weather, w/o laps, unknown NATURAL obstacles around every corner, no spectators, no tractor tires or telephone poles, no PA announcer splitting my ear drums with crap, no prima donnas crying over money, no idea where you are going, no idea how long you will be riding, only a clock, an odometer, the mud, trees, rocks, scorecards, arrows, hills, logs, mountains, leaves, vines, thorns, ruts, roots, blood, pain, ice, fog, snow, heat, humidity, checkpoints, 2 trees 30" apart without bark handlebar high on each one, mile markers, getting lost, alternate lines, creeks, streams, rivers, clay, deserts, rain, sand, whoops, bruises, cuts on your neck, leaves, pine straw, broken fenders, broken handguards, broken bones, broken hearts, sweat, dehydration, questions of "WHY", tears, self doubt, resilency, courage, and finally.......................

THE FINISH!

WHERE IS MY BEER!!!!!!!

LONG LIVE THE REAL ENDURO!!!!
Well......I woulda agreed with ya a few years ago.....But I went to the EC in Vegas 3 years ago as a spectator and I have never seen better bar none the best racing I've ever seen. The whole Arena were on there feet hooting & hollering & hardly anybody knew the racers cause there always out in the woods not getten much love. I've been to all sorts of MC racing over the last 30 years, I've seen MX seventies style all the way thru to the SX race in SF 2 weeks ago, Moto GP races 500cc 2 strokes, 990cc 4 bangers , World SuperBikes, AMA road racing, Falt tracks & a lot of local club racing, I don't think very many guys have the skill or balls to race that EC course and it is a blast to watch in person. I didn't see the TV version but seeing it live was a thrill. I rode my 1'st Enduro in 1980 & plan on riding a few more while I still can and would never trade it for EC. I'm not easily impressed but that vegas EC made me a BIG fan.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:54 PM

I find that I must respectfully disagree with my friend B9 & the other EX haters. I rode my 1st enduro in '74, & I'll keep riding them as long as they still have them & my old body holds out (or gas gets to $10/gallon & I can't afford to drive to them). But this isn't about what I'll be riding.

I'll never ride an EX, or LMS either, but I love to watch them, I get to see the pros on the good stuff, which ordinarily I'd never get to see, & it beats the hell out of anything else on TV. wish it would come close enough for me to see live....
Old 02-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the 2008 Schedule (6 races total):
http://www.endurocross.com/index2.htm

Here are the new rules for 2008:
http://www.endurocross.com/raceinformation2008.htm

Here are a couple of rules that I found interesting:
  • Trials bikes allowed in only the new Trialcross class. Note wheelbase of under 55”
  • Trials tires allowed in ONLY the new Trialcross class. NOT any other classes.
  • Ghost riding of any motorcycle will call for an immediate disqualification.

This last one is aimed at David Knight.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:10 PM

I think the new rules SUCK ! (except the ghost riding one) of the most exicting things about the EC was watching the guys "run what ya brung" and a lot of people that never even new what a Trials bike looked like got to see em race & do really well. I think Maxxis did not like spending hundreds of thousands of dollars & watch some guy who brought his trials bike to the race in (passenger car no less) & with out Maxxis tires on it school the Maxxis sponsered riders on the Maxxis built track. That happened in 07 & the crowd went nuts for this guy. I think there making a mistake but there job is selling tires not pleasing the crowd. I don't even think Maxxis makes a real trials tire. I don't blame Knight for ghost riding I read an article & could belive how much this guy does for KTM for so little money.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM

Default Money

Money and big corporation will make the rules in any sport that brings it to our living room.this trend started in the early 70s and has ruled ever after. My father raced until the factory started putting ridders on next years equipment that was not avaliable, has anything changed? How many KTM,s have you seen in SX this year? The jap market will not stand ANY company in there pocket, If you can win they will buy you, remember #800 He rides the yellow mans bike now.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 PM

Lawman, I see where you are coming from.

Just for the record, LMS is great in my book. Just the indoor stuff I don't care for. Maybe I can relate to LMS more b/c I have actually ridden there a few times. I don't see too many tractor tire jumps out in the Forest. You know?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 AM

I just watched it and didn't think the move made by Taddy was very 'friendly' considering he has been practice riding with Knight regularly and they call each other friends. I read or heard that they had discussed a strategy before the race (if Knight was leading, Taddy would block like a team member, and if Taddy was the definitive leader, Knight would do the same) Knight took a different line when the pass was made and it looked like he slowed for a second too (maybe to avoid hitting Taddy, maybe just for the show, but who knows). But then Taddy made a run for it and was making mistakes and taking chances riding over his head to stay out front. If there was a plan (and who wouldn't with $50K on the line), time will tell if the risk was worth it for Taddy, or if he just got greedy for his first indoor win.
Don't write off Knight yet. When he is pissed he is even more determined to not make any mistakes.