Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Default Dunlop 803 troubles keeping it on

I just put a Dunlop 803 trials tire on my 06 EC300 (Newer type dirtstars) but it doesn't want to stay on the bead. When I hit pavement it slips right off with 9 psi in it (happened twice out of about 4 times on short rides). I left it inflated for a couple of days with like 40 psi or something as someone on Thumpertalk suggested, but as soon as I let the air out (took the valve core out thinking it would be easier to just let it all out and refill to 9 psi) the thing slipped off the bead and made a really bright "PING".

I made sure the tire was indeed seated, so I am sure thats not the problem, especially since it made that noise when it came off. Just using windex to help seat, it doesn't seem to leave a residue or anything.

Anyone had any troubles like this? I would hate to be in the woods and it start doing this, so far it has just been when I hit the pavement for the last 1/2 mile to the house so no biggie, but sooner or later the weather will break and I will want to get out in the woods!

I posted on thumpertalk, but thought it may be something specific with the rims.

Last edited by kendunn; 01-04-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: more info

Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I use windex too and don't think that is causing your problem. I know plwnty of guys that have run the Dunlop trials tire without issue.

The only time I've seen a tire pop off the rim was that the bead was broken during installation.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
I use windex too and don't think that is causing your problem. I know plwnty of guys that have run the Dunlop trials tire without issue.

The only time I've seen a tire pop off the rim was that the bead was broken during installation.
I am pretty sure it didn't cut or break the bead on the tire. It went on pretty easy, no effort at all really, maybe too easy, could something maybe have been too loose from the Dunlop factory? When I was a kid I broke the bead on a tire, you know it when you do it!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 PM

Is it a tube type tire? I know Michelin makes both tube and tubeless trials tires, not sure about Bridgestone. I don't know if it would cause your problem though.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 AM

I have run both "tube type" and "tubeless type" IRC trials tires on both
my GasGas bikes and a KDX200. I have been using the 803 Trials tire
on my 02 EC300 for a couple of years so far and have had no problems
with the tire coming off the bead. I think my rims on the 300 are Dirt Stars also.
The rear 803 takes 40-60 lbs of pressure to seat the bead, using some
water and dish soap as a lube.
I'd say you have a problem with either the tire or the rim that is not normal.
you might want try another trials tire. Or put that one on another bike and see.
Keep us posted if you find the answer to your problem.
Jeff
Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocalspode View Post
I have run both "tube type" and "tubeless type" IRC trials tires on both
my GasGas bikes and a KDX200. I have been using the 803 Trials tire
on my 02 EC300 for a couple of years so far and have had no problems
with the tire coming off the bead. I think my rims on the 300 are Dirt Stars also.
I'd say you have a problem with either the tire or the rim that is not normal.
you might want try another trials tire. Or put that one on another bike and see.
Keep us posted if you find the answer to your problem.
Jeff
The 02's have a slightly different rim, same model (Dirtstar), but the way the rim is made is different. Your 02 is more rounded on the inside where the spokes go through. My 06 has more of a coved profile. I don't know if the bead is different as this would be the only thing that effects the tire staying on there. I have emailed Dunlop, I will post what they report.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:43 PM

Smile

60 psi for a day or two. I use wd40 as the the dish soap will get slippery when it gets wet again, like creek crossings. I like trials tires but got tired of the tire moving on the rim with two rim locks under 10 psi. I hate it when a brand new $20 tube rips on the first ride. If you run a higher psi the tire will stay on the rim but the grip is marginal. Trials riders run 3-5 psi with no problem.
Good luck.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I've had that happen too, but usually when I'm under 6psi.
I run 2 rim locks and when the tire did pop off the bead, it was just in one small area and it did'nt grow....It hasn't caused a problem in finishing the day's ride.
I have since switched back to the IRC and it hasn't popped off ever, even as low as 5psi...mabye Dunlop had a bad batch..."I don't know"
I am currently running it backwards to get a little more life out of it before I throw a new one on and I don't feel any reduction in traction.
Lastly...I ride in an area that has lots of roots and rocks, when it rains the trails get slimy and the hills get greasy...the trials tire would work every where except in the deep mud and on the greasy hills.
So, as a test I cut the tire and IMHO this has given me the best of both worlds, it just plain hooks up everywhere and I haven't lost anything in the roots, rocks or getting over wet logs.
I decided to go with a pattern that would still allow me to ride on the road so I left the center row of knobs alone. (see pick)
I lent my grooving knife to a friend when he saw me scoot up a greasy hill and we had to pull his bike up part of it.
He plans to experiment with a different pattern, removing every other left and right knob in a zig zag pattern, then we'll compair traction.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
I've had that happen too, but usually when I'm under 6psi.
I run 2 rim locks and when the tire did pop off the bead, it was just in one small area and it did'nt grow....It hasn't caused a problem in finishing the day's ride.
I have since switched back to the IRC and it hasn't popped off ever, even as low as 5psi...mabye Dunlop had a bad batch..."I don't know"
I am currently running it backwards to get a little more life out of it before I throw a new one on and I don't feel any reduction in traction.
Lastly...I ride in an area that has lots of roots and rocks, when it rains the trails get slimy and the hills get greasy...the trials tire would work every where except in the deep mud and on the greasy hills.
So, as a test I cut the tire and IMHO this has given me the best of both worlds, it just plain hooks up everywhere and I haven't lost anything in the roots, rocks or getting over wet logs.
I decided to go with a pattern that would still allow me to ride on the road so I left the center row of knobs alone. (see pick)
I lent my grooving knife to a friend when he saw me scoot up a greasy hill and we had to pull his bike up part of it.
He plans to experiment with a different pattern, removing every other left and right knob in a zig zag pattern, then we'll compair traction.

[IMG][/IMG]
Great idea Moto9, will it go thru deep quadtard mud holes?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Site Sponsor

nice idea! i'd be really interested in how it did in the mud....