Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default broken clavicle

Ok. I parted way from my GasGas on Sept 13th. I was on a dual-sport motorcycle ride up in NH and crashed big time. The crash happened in a remote area and was taken out of the woods in a jeep to a truck and then loaded onto some 6 wheeler. That then took me to where the helicopter had landed. Then I flew to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. I don't remember the scenic helicopter ride. Bummer. I'm not really sure how I crashed and no one witnessed it. I was in the hospital for two days. I can barely remember the hospital or the two weeks after the accident. I'm pissed that they cut off my jersey, bike pants and my armor. I already deep 6'ed the helmet and goggles. My subframe on my bike is a little tweaked. I have been out of work since the 12th of Sept and I can't drive. The reason I can't ride/drive is not the broken clavicle...it has to do with my brain injury. I can't hit my head again for some time. Trust me...I don't want to do that again. It sucks being home all day. Remember boys and girls to wear ALL your equipment. If I hadn't, I would have been an organ donor. Thanks Jimmy and John for staying with me the whole time. Angelo and Dave for getting ever thing home and for hiding the bike...LOL. To the fire department and EMTs that helped my out of there. Thank you to all that have stopped in to see me. I'm happy to be alive and to hold my family.

Now the update. I am starting to feel somewhat better. My head wound is just about healed. My brain injury will take quite a bit longer, months, I've been told. My broken collarbone is starting to come together, I think. I have a bump where the break is, but I am told by several doctors that this is 'normal' and it will heal. I don't like it. Still feel like I am one step back from what is going on, but am told that is normal too. I can't go back to work until at least Nov. 5 when I have a follow up appointment with the neurosurgeon who at that point may clear me to go back to work. I have started OT but find it to slow for me but I have to stick with it.

Here's a few pics.

Taken in the ER
Here's a few pics.

Taken in the ER

I have a newer clavicle x-ray coming soon. I can tell you it doesn't look like this anymore. Grrr...

A faster ride then the bike.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:00 PM

I'll PM you my cell#, I learned too much about this the last year and a half to type.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Site Sponsor

i had a nice getoff on a street bike in may this year - broken clavicle and surprising brain after effects from the hit - i developed positional vertigo - which thank god was only temporary, but 3 months of vertigo was enough...

get well soon.........and take it easy..
Old 10-07-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I'll PM you my cell#, I learned too much about this the last year and a half to type.
Thanks for the info. We are looking into it. I personal think I'll be taking a ride to Houston soon. Again. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Hope everything works out OK for you.
Dirt riders are a great group of people, as you can tell by your buddy's quick reactions to your situation.

Boomhauer and myself will give you the Texas welcome if/when you come to Houston, like we did GMP.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 PM

If it needs to be fixed, its a very wise move.

Edit:

Steve,

The first XRays don't look bad like Dr. Mark said on TT, but if you have a sharp lump now something must be causing it. What counts is what its like now. The clavicle is a PIA as it is always under some tension and just about impossible to keep in place. The parts of mine moved all over before it was plated and I'm sure in some positions looked better than others. Maybe you will get lucky, mine looked a lot worse, like it exploded.

Boomer and gasgasman are great people, it was great knowing someone in town and having them help me out. If you fly down and stay across from the clinic, all you ned to do is get a cab from the airport to the hotel, and hotel to the hospital. There is a shuttle from the hotel to the medical building where the clinic is located.

Last edited by GMP; 10-08-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Hope everything works out OK for you.
Dirt riders are a great group of people, as you can tell by your buddy's quick reactions to your situation.

Boomhauer and myself will give you the Texas welcome if/when you come to Houston, like we did GMP.
Thanks guys! It means a lot to me!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
If it needs to be fixed, its a very wise move.

Edit:

Steve,

The first XRays don't look bad like Dr. Mark said on TT, but if you have a sharp lump now something must be causing it. What counts is what its like now. The clavicle is a PIA as it is always under some tension and just about impossible to keep in place. The parts of mine moved all over before it was plated and I'm sure in some positions looked better than others. Maybe you will get lucky, mine looked a lot worse, like it exploded.

Boomer and gasgasman are great people, it was great knowing someone in town and having them help me out. If you fly down and stay across from the clinic, all you ned to do is get a cab from the airport to the hotel, and hotel to the hospital. There is a shuttle from the hotel to the medical building where the clinic is located.
I have the X-rays from the 21st coming by the end of the week. I'll post those when I get them. I can tell you it doesn't look like that anymore. The ends of the two bones are pushed up more in the middle. They meet but I have this wonderful bump. I'm not sure if this goes down or not. Maybe the broken rib is causing this...got me.

Thanks you all for the info. It means a lot.

Steve
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM

I got the newest X-ray! This was taken on Sept 21st.

To me this doesn't look good but then again I ride a dirt bike. LOL
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Ok Steve that's looking pretty darn ugly now to my untrained eye. MUCH different than the original x-ray you showed me in the hospital (top left pic) which looked really good at the time. IMHO that need surgery. When is the next x-ray going to be taken?

I also have to give kudos to the on-site medical attention you received. Considering the slightly remote area they had arrived in force from all over by the time I got there. Very impressive. After I rode the next small loop trail section the chopper had just landed as well. To bad you don't remember that!