Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 05-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Anythings possible in this sport. In one scenario the go pro could break and take some of the force, in others it could trasfer it. What if you hit it on something with it mounted under your visor and it trasnferred it to your head? What if...

At the end of the day you evaluate the risks yourself and do what you need to to minimize them. If that means leaving the camera at home for you then no biggy. I honestly think its probably more likely to run into trouble with the assorted handbar mounted goods. Camera, gps etc as we all know that bars and ribs can align all too easily.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 PM

Smashing the GoPro is the least of my worries when rippin' it up through the woods. you can replace a camera faster and cheaper than healing a busted body part.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 AM

I don't have a go pro so I wouldn't know which way to mount would be better but I can say from a viewers perspective that I like watching the ones that are mounted to the helmet. Seems like the picture is more stable and when you go up hills, you aren't looking straight into the bars. Just looks more like it does when riding when it is on the helmet. Just my opinion...and we all know what those are like.

I have often wondered about it catching tree limbs and stuff though. I'd hate to get ripped off the bike like that.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyo View Post
I don't have a go pro so I wouldn't know which way to mount would be better but I can say from a viewers perspective that I like watching the ones that are mounted to the helmet. Seems like the picture is more stable and when you go up hills, you aren't looking straight into the bars. Just looks more like it does when riding when it is on the helmet. Just my opinion...and we all know what those are like.

I have often wondered about it catching tree limbs and stuff though. I'd hate to get ripped off the bike like that.
A bit off topic, but I find that near eye level gives the best rider perspective. Mounted under the visor gets close. Now whats the risks involved in this once in a crash?? Head trauma? Once you move the camera on to the top of the helmet the view changes again and I don't really like it too much. It looks a bit weird and you end up with the visor blocking off the view a bit too. I personally go with chest mount as its neat and tidy, easy to turn on and off, never catches anything and I like being able to see the bars at work.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
A bit off topic, but I find that near eye level gives the best rider perspective. Mounted under the visor gets close. Now whats the risks involved in this once in a crash?? Head trauma? Once you move the camera on to the top of the helmet the view changes again and I don't really like it too much. It looks a bit weird and you end up with the visor blocking off the view a bit too. I personally go with chest mount as its neat and tidy, easy to turn on and off, never catches anything and I like being able to see the bars at work.
I'm getting to like my chest mount more & more. Here's a clip...You'll please excuse my enthusiasm, and ability to drop my bike at will.

http://youtu.be/E7svFBLaPWA
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 AM

I like that as well, but the bars may be a little close for the lens I have in mine now. The more narrow FOV makes these setups more critical. I should try it, along with the chin bar mount.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 PM

I hate trying to watch a video from a chest mounted camera. All you see is the handlebars and triple clamps bouncing up and down. In fact, if the post describes the video and mentions it is chest mounted, I won't even click on the link to the video.

I have the Liquid Image goggles and really like the product. You don't have to worry if the cameral is aimed at the correct angle.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwheat View Post
I hate trying to watch a video from a chest mounted camera. All you see is the handlebars and triple clamps bouncing up and down. In fact, if the post describes the video and mentions it is chest mounted, I won't even click on the link to the video.

I have the Liquid Image goggles and really like the product. You don't have to worry if the cameral is aimed at the correct angle.
I've seen liquid image footage that was aimed too low.. I've seen bad helmet mounts, and bad chest mounts. I've also watched some ripper footage from all.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwheat View Post

chest mount on riders that sit is pretty bad, but riders that stand it's perfect

helmet mount on riders that sit is ok, I cant watch them long, on riders that stand it's a bad pov
Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 AM

I've seen good and bad from all. The only ones I really don't like are the standard helmet mounts that fill 30% of the view with visor or helmet. The under visor mount is very good, just has to be fabricated and setup properly for adjustability and also to not get in your FOV as a rider.