Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Right now I feel the worst when I get out of my truck at work after an hour drive, then is subsides after the short walk to the building. I may need a prescription for a new truck.
I hate to say it but those are the same symptoms I had. I had to borrow a car with AT because I couldn't shift my truck.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Ibuprofin is your friend...

I bailed off at high speed at an isde qualifier in idaho city. DNF'ed - I've never had paralysis in my legs as a result of a crash - I could walk but felt like an old man (even more than I do today!). It kinda "freaked me out" - never had anything like that happen before.

I went to the doc and he told me to mega-dose on ibuprofin for 2-3 days to reduce the inflammation that was causing the pressure on the spine/nerves. Worked great.

jeff
Old 10-17-2007, 01:10 PM

I've been doing a lot of Aleve (Naproxin), 2 - 3 a day of the 220mg gel caps (good for arm pump prevention too). I never had any paralysis, just pain so intense that the leg just seemed to "shut down" after a few steps. I guess I'm so surprised because I work hard to stay in shape. What I lack in talent I try to make up for in strength and stamina. I don't feel like an old man!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
So, ggrider, that's why I didn't see you at the Shotgun PR. Alright, you're off the hook. I saved a set of pink grips for you since I thought you wimped out. I won't put them on your bike now.
Please mount the grips on my bike, need them for the upcoming San Francisco Drag Queen Supercross, why do you think I switched to a MC250. I knew I could count on you for all the pink accessories !
Old 10-19-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Anybody have experience with this? How long for recovery?

I generally have a healthy back, work out a lot, able to lift and bend, and ride without issues. Never had an XRay or MRI because there was never a need.

About two weeks ago I started to get an annoying pain over my left butt cheek that would come and go. No injury prior to this, just some somewhat strenuous lifting. Following Sunday I went to an Enduro. I got about 7 - 10 miles and had intense pain in my left leg, so bad I had to pull off and go back to my camper. I could only walk a few steps at a time, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. Went to the ER, doc said it was Sciatica from lumbar strain and gave me muscle relaxers, no XRay. Regular doc the next day said pretty much the same thing and that I would be better in two weeks. Its been a week and while I can sleep without drugs and walk I still have pain. Riding is out of the question and this scares me. Thinking about seeing a Chiropractor. Any experiences good or bad?
GMP:

After a bad get-off, I sustained injury to my lumbar region. One of the side effects/issues from the injury was sciatica. After a few visits to my chiropractor--which happens to be a riding bud--I started to get some relief, however, it took healing time plus a regimen or two of Celebrex to get me back to normal.

I still get "flare-ups" now and then, but as Jeff has said, two or three Ibuprofin and a good night's sleep puts me back on the map.

It's going to take time for your back to heal, and if you're smart, you'll give it plenty of time to do so.

Bit of advice...

If your chiropractor can't help you within, say, three to four visits, stop going and find another alternative. Don't let one soak you by requiring you to see him/her over a long period of time.

Best of luck,

TP
'03 EC 300
Old 10-19-2007, 04:48 PM

TP,

I went Weds night, first time. The guy spent close to an hour, examination, nerve tests, Xray. The XRay developer failed, so he could not verify what he suspected from the examination. Anyway, he claimed that my sacrum was shifted slightly, placing pressure on the lowest disc. He said it was probably like that for awhile, from a previous fall. Typically happens when people fall on the ice and land on their tail bone. It takes approx 7mm of nerve compression on average in that area to have pain symptoms, and I could have been on the edge. Since I recovered about 80% in a week, he does not suspect any additional permanent damage, but the XRay will indicate if an MRI is needed to prove that, which I will find out tommorrow. Its not technically Sciatica, because my pain is in a different nerve group that is felt on the side of the leg, not the rear.

Well, I agreed to let him "treat" me as he was quite confident. I could not beleive how I felt when I walked out, I felt great. Even today I can barely tell I had a problem, only after the drive to work can I feel anything and now its just a dull ache for a minute or two. I'm going to stick with this for awhile as I had a definate improvement in one visit. Going back tommorrow and will discuss what I can do to improve my training program to help this.

Whatever it takes to get back on the bike without problems.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Glad to hear you got relief.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 PM

Had a lengthy review of my redone XRays tonight, not pretty. The S1/S2 of my sacrum apparently never completely fused at birth, been that way all my life. Quite common and never a problem to me, but I must have stressed it enough to shift it and put pressure on a nerve root. A few sections up, I have an almost bone/bone situation, bad disc, arthritis. Doc said this is from a 15 - 20 year old injury based on the growth. Thinking back, I got thrown from a horse and landed hard on my back in '92, sore for a week. Funny thing is I had no additional problems from this. I feel good now, going back to the gym this week. All clear but no leg press and no running for a few weeks. No riding yet either, but he said I will be back on the bike. Good Chiropractor, knows his limits, not a pusher for excessive visits, and taught me a lot.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:15 PM

Good Chiros are as hard to find as a good mechanic. After several of them and acupuncture I found a good one to relieve my sciatica which I developed from bowling of all things. Dangerous sport, It hurt more to sit than anything. He's a Gonstead Chiro, I won't go to anyone else now, just keep going once in a while to keep it in shape.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:31 AM

I'm going once a week now, soon to be every two weeks. I'm back to my normal workout routine including running and leg press. Left leg is a little more sore than normal but thats it. My condition is a little different, I have a permanent weak spot thats still not healed up and will only be 85% at best in a couple months. He says I can ride but "don't hit any big boulders". That may be tough. I have to minimize impacts through my butt, so I guess I will try to adopt a more stand up style. I may go out Sunday for an easy test ride, but here nothing is really easy. Not sure where this leaves me right now, not exactly happy about it.