Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 04-21-2008, 06:14 PM

Thumbs down Broken Clavical

I hate starting new posts here.

Crashed on a rocky downhill Sunday making a pass on another rider. Didn't see the flat rock that caused me to loose the front end. Went down HARD on my right side. I could hear things crack. After I got my breath back and the shock subsided, I could feel the big gap and lump in my collar bone. Got out, home, and to the ER which was useless. Saw the ortho today. Broken in 4 places wirh a big gap in one of them. I can't beleive I'm not having surgery. Doc says no big deal it will heal OK, not worth the risk. Hope he's right. I'm in a clavical strap for a few weeks. He said I should be functional in 6 weeks but no high stress for 6 months. Season is DONE.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:23 PM

Let me know when your cleared to lift 12oz. I'll head over your way for a couple cold ones! Are you able to work? or are you out too?
Steve
Old 04-21-2008, 06:27 PM

Bummer Glenn. Hopefully there's no complications and everything heals fine.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:38 PM

He said I can drive and work if I can stand it. Hell, I drove to the ER, doc, and was going to try and ride the bike out when I was stopped. I'm known for riding out my injuries.

Steve, I can't move my right arm past my chest, or tie my shoes, but I can drink left handed no problem!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM

Sad news Glenn. Sorry to hear.
I am at my most comfortable on rocky downhills. That's the only time I really hang it out there and I've made some memorable passes in those conditions. I've also had some of my hardest crashes there, too, much to the enjoyment of the guy I passed, I'm sure. It's often a long fall with a nasty landing. The tuck-and-roll is tough to do in rocks.
Heal up good.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:01 PM

The stupid thing is I didn't have to pass, it was a trial ride. The trail was open and fast, not technical, but with low ebbedded rocks. I was probably going 35+. I was on my way back to my buddy from the pits with parts to fix a broken throttle cable on his KTM. I got impatient with the guy in front of me who wouldn't move, dogged him close, so close I did not see the large flat rock when I dove inside on a sweeper. I was down before I had a chance to think, almost took the guy with me. Like you I live in this stuff, it was just a mistake on my part.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Man that stinks season hasn't really even gotten going and to have that happen.

I would go over to KTM Talk or Thumper talk and ask Dr. Mark about your injury and see what he advises. He may want you to post X-rays but he's all about getting riders back in the game quickly and I wouldn't be surprised if he advised a different plan of attack. The guy is the balls really and if I had a season ending injury I would consider flying to Texas for is services. His clinic picks up part of the tab for travel and lodging expenses even.

Skidad in MA
Old 04-21-2008, 08:51 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
Bummer Glenn. Hopefully there's no complications and everything heals fine.
+1

more text to satisfy software
Old 04-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Man that sucks Glenn!
Broke mine as a teenager on a BMX bike. I remember it being a very painful bone to break.
Take it easy, and I hope it heals up fast for you.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 PM

That sucks, sucks, sucks! Heal fast and try to keep sane. Perhaps you could be the photographer for your buddies for the summer or the pit crew or better yet pamper your wife/gf all summer and build up a healthy bank of riding passes.

Paul B