Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Try swapping the clutch plates around. It has resolved the squeeling on some bikes.
You mean turning them around and then installing or putting the front plates at the back and vice versa .

One of the mechanics at the dealership close to me phoned me and told me to check that the steel plates have the sharp edge to the back ( they are blanked and have smooth edge one side and sharp on the other side) he also mentioned using ATF , can this be right , can ATF be used?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
You mean turning them around and then installing or putting the front plates at the back and vice versa .

One of the mechanics at the dealership close to me phoned me and told me to check that the steel plates have the sharp edge to the back ( they are blanked and have smooth edge one side and sharp on the other side) he also mentioned using ATF , can this be right , can ATF be used?
I use ATF+4 in mine. It squawked with motor oil in it but has not since the switch, however I think it has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by lankydoug; 03-24-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post

Yes, no particular order. It worked on my 2001 GG and a friend of mine's 2008.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Yes, no particular order. It worked on my 2001 GG and a friend of mine's 2008.
Thanks I 'll give it a bash
Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 AM

FWIW, I went through the clutch on my '07 this winter. Everything looked great, no notches, plates in spec, etc. Also no previous problems, typical GG clutch. Before I reinstalled the pack, I went over the edges of the friction plate tabs with a fine jewelers file, and the edges of the steel plate tabs with a small sharpening stone. Nothing seemed to be too rough, typical as expected. Last weekend I finished the bike, and having no Rotella 5W-40W I filled the trans with the 15W-40W, which I use in summer more. It was in the 40s so I figured the clutch might drag and clunk when I put it in gear. Well, I was stunned at how little drag it had, it was a major difference, even with the heavier oil in the cold weather. I could easily go in and out of neutral while the bike was still cold. I can't help but think there is something to this, allowing the plates to float as free as possible in the basket and on the hub.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
FWIW, I went through the clutch on my '07 this winter. Everything looked great, no notches, plates in spec, etc. Also no previous problems, typical GG clutch. Before I reinstalled the pack, I went over the edges of the friction plate tabs with a fine jewelers file, and the edges of the steel plate tabs with a small sharpening stone. Nothing seemed to be too rough, typical as expected. Last weekend I finished the bike, and having no Rotella 5W-40W I filled the trans with the 15W-40W, which I use in summer more. It was in the 40s so I figured the clutch might drag and clunk when I put it in gear. Well, I was stunned at how little drag it had, it was a major difference, even with the heavier oil in the cold weather. I could easily go in and out of neutral while the bike was still cold. I can't help but think there is something to this, allowing the plates to float as free as possible in the basket and on the hub.
The edges could be the point, squeal is vibration through a thin edge, hum is vibration through a thicker surface. If the sharp edges are dragging, even if they are dragging on the basket, it very well could cause a squall. Unfortunately not all are willing to be as precise as you Glenn so time will tell. It would be a simple task to pull the cover and plates, do as you did, if they laid it on the left side they wouldn't even have to add an oil change in there. I have dealt with many 'noise' issues in my 30 years as an auto tech and could tell you some wild stories about what can make a noise
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Default Chirping clutch

Hi All

My clutch chiprs under hard use, is this a normal thing with GasGas clutches? The plates are well within spec, it only happens on big hills in deep mud etc
Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 PM

Typical. Mine requires lots of abuse and odd oils to do that, though. More of a grunt than a chirp.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 PM

I would have no problem spending that time if the only benefit was that it shifted more smoothly and found nuetral easier. Good wet weather project.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:46 PM

Join in on what is apparently the latest discussion on this topic. . .

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9310