Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:58 PM

Default Race Report

I have 2 races to report this time around. First up was Round 4 of the IXCR in Canaan Indiana. I had been looking forward to the race because it was rumored to be a fast flowing track which is what I like. I had a pretty good start going into the woods in 3rd place. The track lived up to its hype and it was in fact very fast! Most of the race was rode in 4th gear. The course was 9.2 miles long with lots of big long up hills and even more downhills that allowed me to show off the stability and great brakes on the Gasser. Had a great race, did 5 laps for a 3rd in my class and 127 of 311 overall.

Next up was round 5 at the Padanaram commune in Bedford IN. This is a very interesting place. It is some kind of hippy cult settlement that has over 3,000 acres of some of the most beautiful property you have ever seen. The people are a bit "different" but hey I am not judging they let us come there and ride so they are cool in my book! Unfortunately on Saturday they had nearly 3 inches of rain during the quad race so by the time Sunday came around for us to race the course was a mess and I had already been hearing horror stories of "the swamp" and "the hill"! I really didn't care to even suit up and ride but my whole family showed up to support me so I felt obligated and I sucked it up and headed to the start line. Now the star line was interesting to say the least. We were lined up on a power line clearing and it was so steep if you didn't keep your foot on the brake your bike would roll backwards down the hill in to the guys behind you. Not only was it a steep uphill but it was short. So short that row 1 literally only had to go about ten feet before a 90* right hand turn. So it's time for row 9 to take off. The flagged waves the flag and I kick some life into the ol 300 and drop the clutch. Much to my surprise the front end doesn't shoot up in the air as it usually does. The bike just spins, I had moved about 1 foot before it was time to try 3rd gear and see if she would go. That did the trick. So now I am head towards the first turn and the guy to the right of me must have not realized we needed to turn right and went straight which stood me up and put me in the 8 inches of goop that had been shoved aside by the 200 guys in front of me. So there I go taking g a dirt sample with my face! I get the bike up and start making up some ground. By the time I hit "the swamp" which is about 1.5 miles in I had caught and passed most everyone in my class who were all struggling in the extremely slick conditions. Now "the swamp" lived up to its name, there was 100 bikes scattered out in an area 200 ft. Wide and 300 ft. Long all of them stuck or about to be stuck. Lucky for me I found an ok line and managed to get through without too much trouble. About 3 miles later I found "the hill" now this hill on a normal day would have been pretty easy for my wife on her trx90 quad but not today. Today there were 200 motorcycles strewn all over the hill with riders in various stages of hyperventilation and cardiac arrest. Once I finally pushed and shoved my way through the lines of riders sitting at the bottom of the hill skeered to try this uphill mud bog I pointed the ol gasser up the hill and let it show its stuff. I weaved and bobbed my way right up the hill (with my feet flopping wildly) without issue. As soon as I crested the top a young man that was completely exhausted took a left turn right into me and punted me right off the top of the ridge. So I get back up and on my way and slipped, spun, and paddled my way through the rest of the lap. By the time I got to the end of the lap the radiators were completely plugged and I was exhausted but I was in third and headed out for a 2nd lap. About 1,000 ft into my second lap I somehow or another broke my chain and it ended my day. I still managed a 6th of 27 in my class and a 137 of 237 overall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 05-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Great write-up memphis!!

Sucks that a chain broke on your 2nd lap, but so cool that you made it through all the stuff that kept most riders bogged down in various parts of the course in the 2nd race.

Great pics man, good on you for getting out there and doing it