Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:00 AM

Thumbs down Bottom End Gone!

Hi All

Just looking for thoughts and advice on my 2011 EC250. Pretty sure something down low has spat the dummy!

I was riding couple weekends ago, first it died (almost as if it had lost all spark), but it kick started easily and was off again. Was running great then oops! Rear locked up and I came to a grinding halt.

The kickstarter was jammed so I put it in neutral and luckily there was towing available, so I rode the ATV Of Shame back to the trailer.

The kick starter didn't take much to move, pushed it by hand and it didn't take too much to get it moving again. But it wasn't feeling or sounding too happy through the stroke.

I stripped it down and this is what I found, nothing major wrong I could spot up top:

Here's a video of the piston:

https://imgur.com/a/EcljJIZ

I did find the bolt that holds the power valve lever arm at the top was sheared off, but it was in place and enough was left to stay in place, this pic from RockefellerGG's excellent rebuild thread:

Down below things were a bit more interesting. I couldn't feel any up/down movement in the conrod, and the big end bearing feels smooth as, and what I can see of the roller bearings look good.

But something down here's not happy! These flakes were plucked from a nook in the crank:

There seems to be staining on the crank but no pitting that I can feel:

I'm still not sure if I will split the cases myself. I haven't done it before, but there's some great resources such as the thread I mentioned.

Any tips or tricks or things to look out for? Any alarm bells or warnings for me to heed? There's a few parts lists floating around, I'm pretty keen to do it all properly and make the motor like new again. I've done pretty much everything else on the bike, and it's such a good bike for a shorty like me.

Cheers in advance for any input. If there's interest I'll post my journey!

Old 08-20-2018, 03:31 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Hey dude. Check my crank failure modes thread from a few weeks back. What you are seeing is the left hand side bearing plastic cage.

My rod once taken apart of my 07 was getting worn so was glad I took the extra plunge to change it. Mine was an 07 and first time done. Your 11 is much newer but still 7 years on so recommend the same.

Case comes apart real easy except the left hand thread on crank. Best done on the bike.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 08-20-2018, 03:48 AM

Yeah same scenario, seems like that's the way it goes.

The slivers in mine are sticking to a magnet though, so not plastic? Probably irrelevant at this stage as it needs a rebuild.

Quote:
Case comes apart real easy except the left hand thread on crank. Best done on the bike.
Oops, it's already out. I've got a rattle gun, might just need a fat mate to come and sit on it.

I see you got a new rod too. Being down here in New Zealand we generally have to give up kidneys for parts, so I'm trying to get my head around what I'll need to order.

Did you sort your idle issue?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:38 AM

Cage on my mag side bearing came apart on my '01 XC 200. Locked up the engine. I put it in 6th gear and rolled it back & forth till it freed up, then rode it about 5 miles back to the truck. Felt like the engine was going to jump out of the frame. Lucky for me, the ride out didn't do anymore damage.

The rebuild is pretty straightforward. Just make sure you flush everything good to remove all the metal bits.

RB
Old 08-20-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Oops, it's already out. I've got a rattle gun, might just need a fat mate to come and sit on it.
use a chain around the sprocket and put it in gear. Then rattle gun to your hearts content. Probably a higher gear the better. Attach the chain to something sturdy on the engine.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:11 PM

I got a woosner rod kit from motozone for nz$200 which was cheaper than I could bring one in from US. Nice bit of kit however had to by some 1mm thrust washers but think it was R2 that carry all that sort of stuff to supply local bike shops.

Motocross parts nz has various bearings. I was lucky with a mate having gasket set and seals already in his spares.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
Old 08-20-2018, 04:32 PM

Cheers for the advice all, I'll try the chain around the sprocket this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
I got a woosner rod kit from motozone for nz$200 which was cheaper than I could bring one in from US. Nice bit of kit however had to by some 1mm thrust washers but think it was R2 that carry all that sort of stuff to supply local bike shops. Motocross parts nz has various bearings. I was lucky with a mate having gasket set and seals already in his spares.
Choice I can chase up some parts. It's common to send the crank off to get rebuilt right? All that pressing and truing - tools and skills I don't have.

Some more dumb questions: I'll need these tools at least right?
- Flywheel puller
- Case splitter

Hoping I can call in a couple favours from my friendly mechanic who I've referred quite a bit of work to.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:49 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Flywheel puller for sure, but I do not think you will need the case puller. I have split the cases on six GG engines and never needed a puller to do it. Just do not use a screwdriver or pry bar between the cases as you can damage the cases. All of those were pre 2006 engines so I do not know if GG reduced mfg clearances over time or not.

Last edited by Zman; 08-20-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:35 PM

Flywheel puller but case splitter not required due to the bearing construction being a sleeve.
Find someone decent to rebuild the crank.

I used a mate but will be plenty of DirtBike shops that can do it but ask around. If near Palmy Norf Pete Sales at Total is always a good choice.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
Old 08-20-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Flywheel puller but case splitter not required due to the bearing construction being a sleeve.
Ok, dumb question #3, how do you know which flywheel puller to get?

Quote:
Find someone decent to rebuild the crank. I used a mate but will be plenty of DirtBike shops that can do it but ask around. If near Palmy Norf Pete Sales at Total is always a good choice.
I'm in Tauranga, I'll make some enquiries. Definitely want it all done right.

Cheers.

Tags
big end, bottom end, crank, crankshaft, rebuild