Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:50 PM

Default GG vs Japan AND the mag controversy

Couple of questions rattling around in my skull:

I know the gassers have a "euro" feel, but borrow heavily form japanese technology. So how would an '07 EC 250 handle compared to ...say...an '07 KX250?

Also, I've noticed a serious dearth of GG coverage in any mags. Is that related to the distribution issues? I'd love to get DB and DR's take on a KTM/GG 250/300 shootout.

thanks!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:55 PM

I rode a YZ250 a few weeks back. It handled almost identically to my 07 EC250. I think the mags are on crack.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:15 PM

Is that good or bad?

I understand that the YZ250 handles nicely, though stiff due to its role as an MXer.

I suppose a fair test would compare a stock YZ and a trail-prepped YZ (as we sometimes fine out here, even with an 18" wheel), while noting the extra expense it takes to soften up the MXer for rocks and roots.

That kind of comparision is unlikely to see the light of day. Very few editors want to put that much effort into a story. I was surprised a few months ago when one mag (MotoCross Action) actually took the time to swap out all of the shock springs on a stable of '07 KTMS (the 450 got a stiffer aftermarket spring, and the 250 got the 450 spring; 200 got the 250 spring, etc), and then adjusted the clickers.

Rick
Old 08-29-2007, 04:12 PM

Note, this was a 04 YZ250 with the engine done up for woods (flywheel weight, porting, FMF gnarly pipe) and an IMS tank on it. The suspension was stock and it also had a 19" rear wheel. The suspension was stiffer than the stock stuff on my 07 EC250, but I just stiffened up my 07 so it's now close to the same as my 01 200 which is very similar to the stock YZ stuff, only it's a little plusher on rocks and roots.

So yeah, the 'Euro' feel is complete BS. Ride one and make your own opinion, because the mags are full of s#$t in my opinion.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmstarr View Post
I know the gassers have a "euro" feel, but borrow heavily form japanese technology. So how would an '07 EC 250 handle compared to ...say...an '07 KX250?

Also, I've noticed a serious dearth of GG coverage in any mags. Is that related to the distribution issues? I'd love to get DB and DR's take on a KTM/GG 250/300 shootout.

thanks!
The shootouts only exist because to many riders think that one bike is the best when that is simply NOT TRUE. Many times over the years especially at the end or beginning of a test the editor will say that all of the bikes in the test were so close that any bike would be good for any rider with the only deciding factor being which bike fits that particular rider better and they are going to have to nit-pick to try to tell a difference. But, since most riders don't understand that and demand to know which bike is better, they will buy the mag that has the test and that mag will sell over the others, so, all mags have shootouts so they will sell. And to prove that, if you notice over the years different mags will have different winners and even different lineups of there comparison from first to last. Sometimes you even see a shootout winner and an ad for that bike in the same mag!! Form your own opinions on that one. Luckily, we live in a time were most all bikes are of equal performance and reliability (unlike the old days when a beginner or novice could easily tell a foul machine from a well built one). It bugs me knowing how many riders jump on there friends bikes who's suspension isn't set up for them (let alone the owner) and get off of it saying it doesn't handle good and slam the product from then on. Or even say it doesn't have enough power for them when they can't even bring out the most of a 125 2 stroke.
Those shootouts aren't helping anybody, IMO, test each bike individually with no mention of any other bike and note it's characteristics, then choose which bike might fit your use. I know it's tough riding every bike that someone would be interested in and some say that the mag tests are the only info they can get but, just realizing that 99% of us aren't going to bring out the full potential of these bikes should be good enough to know to not read those tests. I still haven't ridden a 450 that feels better or makes my '05 feel outdated.
Sorry for the rant, but everyone on here seems pretty level headed and knows what they want out of a dirt bike and I would hate to see them start to get caught up in mag tests. That's just my opinion, some may disagree and that's OK...
Old 08-29-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalefty View Post
The shootouts only exist because to many riders think that one bike is the best when that is simply NOT TRUE...Sorry for the rant, but everyone on here seems pretty level headed and knows what they want out of a dirt bike and I would hate to see them start to get caught up in mag tests.
Good points. But at least SOME coverage of GG would be nice. Which brings me back to my original question: is it just because GG won't throw a free bike at DR/DB? Either way, I'm eager to test a couple of Gassers once I'm back in the saddle. I've always ridden KXs, but with Kawi abandoning the true storke, I want to reward the companies commited to 2T R&D. I cannot go orange.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmstarr View Post
Good points. But at least SOME coverage of GG would be nice. Which brings me back to my original question: is it just because GG won't throw a free bike at DR/DB? Either way, I'm eager to test a couple of Gassers once I'm back in the saddle. I've always ridden KXs, but with Kawi abandoning the true storke, I want to reward the companies commited to 2T R&D. I cannot go orange.
If an orange bike is what fits what your looking for than why not buy it, isn't that what it's all about. If you don't want to go orange because everybody else has one...who cares...it fits you. I chose my bike because it worked for me, I've gotten some flack from brand loyal riders but I know that they could probably be happier on some other bike if they just would have opened there minds a little and didn't worry about fitting in. Besides, when they see how much I enjoy my bike, they don't say anything anymore, especially the ones following...hehe.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Do what I do, buy a 1 or 2 year old bike every other year. After a few bikes, you then know what you are looking for. It would have been awesome to have picked this GasGas first.

YZ250's work real well in the woods after they are set up. Hell I rode a bone stock brand new 06 leftover a month ago in the woods and it felt really nice. Even the suspension worked good. I was surprised at that, but it did.

Dirt Rider had an article a few issues back about an Six Days Edition EC250 that Derek Steahly rode in the ISDE in New Zealand. I read it again the other night sittin' on the pot.

Also Dirt Rider did a 300 vs. 300 KTM/GasGas test a year ago or so. You can find it on their website in the archives. Guess what, the GasGas won.

I prefer not to tell anyone about how good the GasGas is in the woods. It gives me an edge. Secret stuff you know.

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 08-29-2007, 11:32 PM

What issue of DR has the EC250 Six Days edition test? I'd be interested to see what the 'experts' have to say about my bike.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:40 AM

By "Euro" feel do you mean the classic definition of slow handling and super stable, like an old Husky?

You heard dead wrong. The bike feels like a Japaneese MXer with a couple extra lbs. and a "cost is no option" woods setup, including a 6-speed. It steers very quick but also has good stability.

I don't even read the big CA based mags anymore. Not worth the paper there printed on for an objective unbiased bike test.