Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampX View Post
Man, thats scary similar to my story. Bought my first dirtbike, an '05 EC300, last spring, at 40 years of old. Could barely keep control on fire-roads. Had some really bad habits from years of riding quads, as in the left and right levers on a quad don't work the same as a dirtbike, go figure....a couple trips over the handlebars cured me of that. Now I ride with a couple buddies who race, and push me really hard, thats the only way to truly learn, to ride on the ragged-ass edge of scared/too fast/super fun. Arm pump and shaky legs have replaced a sore butt from sitting-down riding, lol!
Lately adventure bikes have been on the menu. After managing a 500+ pound pigs through the bush..."normal" dirtbikes should feel exceptionally light & nimble.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:22 AM

IMO, the most important skill to work on in the woods is corner speed. Because there are so many turns in the woods, especially tight woods, gaining just a bit of speed, makes a huge difference. If you practice and pick up just 1 km/h of average speed in corners, or better yet, shave 1/5 or 1/4 sec off each time spent in each corner, then multiply that by hundreds, or thousands of turns & it adds up real fast. That extra corner speed automatically increases your straightaway speed too.
Over a 10km section that can drop a minute, or more off your time, which can be the difference between a C rider and a B, or a B and an A. Or a 10th place and first.
Add in increasing skills with obstacles & junk and skills at squeezing between tight trees & you have a recipe for real skills improvement.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:34 PM

Corner speed is definitely where I have issues! I'm doing decently okay jumping logs, doing technical hillclimbs and such, but I get absolutely left in the dust through the tight twisties. Practice practice practice, I guess.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:42 PM

I don't get much of a dirtbike workout, lately, but mountain biking is abundant. That said, cornering speed is probably just as important. It is amazing how fast you can stick a turn, using technique, & having a bit of faith that the tires will stick.