Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Ya dropping one particular make doesn't add up for me. It's two stroke work like any other that comes in the shop. He already has the tools, specs, and experience. Maybe there's more to this story. Disappointing regardless.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Going to try calling R&B tomorrow.
I just sent Gorr my CR500 engine for a new crank and porting.
Bike runs great.
Shakes a lot less!
I told him I wanted the power band smoothed out and I sure got it.
Power is super flat. Kinda feel bad about cutting the nuts off a 500 but the bike is way more easy to handle in the woods.
I also added a Recluse clutch and a more heavy flywheel at the same time which added to the slow reving, castrated feeling I think.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Eric Gorr has been doing engine and machine work for me since 2003. He is extremely knowledgeable! The work he has performed for me has been terrific and his price are very reasonable.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam500 View Post
Going to try calling R&B tomorrow.
I just sent Gorr my CR500 engine for a new crank and porting.
Bike runs great.
Shakes a lot less!
I told him I wanted the power band smoothed out and I sure got it.
Power is super flat. Kinda feel bad about cutting the nuts off a 500 but the bike is way more easy to handle in the woods.
I also added a Recluse clutch and a more heavy flywheel at the same time which added to the slow reving, castrated feeling I think.
Let us know what RB says as we are all curious.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I bet the Pumpkin Kult got to him because the GG bikes were outperforming the orange ones!
Old 04-20-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
I bet the Pumpkin Kult got to him because the GG bikes were outperforming the orange ones!
LOL.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 PM

Well I kind of got an answer out of Ron.
He doesn't want to do the head mod anymore because the gasser heads and more difficult to machine than other bikes and he feels he needs to charge more for the work.
Fair enough. I'll pay it.
He is also has not been satisfied by the quality of squish test samples provided by gas gas customers. If he cant get a good squish sample he can not do his job to the best of his ability as to provide his proper service.
Fair enough.
As far as the carb mod he had the same complaint as most customers send him worn out dirty carbs and he is sick of having to clean them and replace parts that are not part of his job to modify them for performance.
Fair enough.
I think he may still offer to do the carb mod for me. Not sure yet, awaiting his email.
Maybe he just turned 69 years old and his day to day level of giving a shit is going down drasticly.
It happened to my father. I'm used to dealing with such behavior.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam500 View Post
Well I kind of got an answer out of Ron.
He doesn't want to do the head mod anymore because the gasser heads and more difficult to machine than other bikes and he feels he needs to charge more for the work.
Fair enough. I'll pay it.
He is also has not been satisfied by the quality of squish test samples provided by gas gas customers. If he cant get a good squish sample he can not do his job to the best of his ability as to provide his proper service.
Fair enough.
As far as the carb mod he had the same complaint as most customers send him worn out dirty carbs and he is sick of having to clean them and replace parts that are not part of his job to modify them for performance.
Fair enough.
I think he may still offer to do the carb mod for me. Not sure yet, awaiting his email.
Maybe he just turned 69 years old and his day to day level of giving a shit is going down drasticly.
It happened to my father. I'm used to dealing with such behavior.
Adam500, Thanks for the update. At 69 years old I understand his point of view and frankly I am surprised he is not just calling it quiets and retiring. I wish his future well regardless what he decides to do.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 PM

A reputable roadrace tuner in uk a mate was invited to stay with while on holiday getting work done bemoaned the fact that you could send back cutting edge kit and if it wasn't polished they thought you'd hacked it. Then they would seize it solid peel the chrome and the barrel would arrive back demanding replacement. You can't control the choice of jets and any other factors.

Thinking. . GG heads are wedge shaped squish. You can easily see the customer measuring that wrong. Without the engine to recheck after the first squish angle correction cut you are shooting in the dark a little. Probably why mail order tuners aim for fairly loose 1.2mm squish
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:03 PM

I shipped a GG 300 head to RB the same day this thread started. I actually took it to the post office and later that day (or night) read the first post of this thread....yeah that's my luck (and my own fault for just sending it and not talking to him first). So I figured I'd just wait and either (A) he would just do it anyway and send it back (B) he would not machine it and send it right back (C) I would get an email or phone call. Well I got my answer just now by email and he is not going to machine it and will be sending it back.