Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:11 AM

Question Another Radiator guard question......

I have been browsing all the threads on radiator guards/braces, and am down to two choices within my budget. The Unibiker brace/guard combo or the Scorpion Racing Radiator Frames. My main reason for buying the radiator protection is for side impact damage control. The frontal protection from sticks and stuff is a secondary concern. I have not been able to discern the main difference between these two kits concerning side impact protection. If the difference is marginal, I am going to go with Unibiker since they offer frontal protection for around the same price as the Scorpion, but if the Scorpion's side impact protection is superior to Unibiker's, I will prob go Scorpion. Someone convince me either way please. 8) Thanks. 2011 EC 300

Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 AM

I just got off the phone with unibiker today (great guy). I'll have them in a day or so (red anodized). They have to be better than the moose ones I have...lol.
I'll post what I think of them, but wouldn't be able to say about scorpion so may not be much help.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 PM

Sledgehammer Manufacturing make some pretty stout guards out of solid billet.

and a nice ignition side cover

Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 PM

I decided to go with Unibiker after talking to someone there. The design of the side impact protection seems similar to the Scorpions ( 5 cross-support bars), plus you get frontal protection for roughly the same price.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 AM

Please tell us what you think when you get them put on. I was considering the scorpion/unibiker myself for my '11, not for side but for frontal however. I slightly concerned about sticks/trees and such. Seems the price is the same between them both, mounting designs totally different however.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:22 PM

The Scorpions are 3/16" thk aluminum and completely cover the sides of the rad tabs. Not sure but I think the Unabikers leave the tabs exposed to mount the shrouds. Not a fan of that, but nice guards otherwise. Also depends on where you ride and the likelyhood of impact. Here, dropping the bike on a rock is a regular occurance, so they have to be very strong.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM

I have the scorpians as well. I am very hard on radiators. Being short and talented enough to fall over often has no good points.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 AM

Thumbs up

Got the unabiker rad guards and installed them. Shipping was very fast and they were packaged well. Instructions were sufficient, but could use a couple more installation pics and a recommended tools list. Really, there is only one important tool you need to make installation a breeze and not a pain like it was for me, and that's either a six or eight inch 1/4 inch socket extension with a 1/4 inch 5mm hex head socket, or a six inch plus 5mm t-handle. Once installed I noticed that the left fork was making contact with the upper rad guard cross support about 1/8 of an inch before steering lockout, causing the rad guard and rad to flex slightly when lockout was followed through. Of course I was unhappy with this, but I have done all I can think of to do and still have not fixed the problem. The funny thing is that the left rad is brand new and I was worried that the right rad, which is a little beat up,would give me problems with the guards but everything is functioning fine on that side. Good thing for people to know who may be concerned about how installation might go on a bent up rad. I'm not going to blame the guards for the problems on the left side as something might be a little off with the rad or mountings that I cannot see. I have decided to live with it since the contact is so slight. I will prob just Dremel down the cross support a bit if I can't figure it out. But anyway, the unabiker frame/guard combo seem sturdy as hell once together and should stand up to anything I can throw at it. I'm very happy with them.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperrider1 View Post
Sledgehammer Manufacturing make some pretty stout guards out of solid billet.

and a nice ignition side cover

hi thumperrider1,

does they have an online store?

---------------
GG EC250E 2011
KTM EXC250 2009
YAMAHA WR250F 2007
YAMAHA WR250F 2003
KTM 520 EXC 2001
KTM 620 EGS 1997
HONDA XR600R 1997
SUZUKI DR 350S 1992
Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM

Not yet. They do have a facebook page and Jeff can be contacted by email.

jeff@tacticaltruck.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sle...11269778935914