Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
What was the 4th discipline? RR, Enduro, Trial and?
Drinking

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280

Old 02-09-2021, 12:15 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Ahh you've been reading my late night posts.
Roadriding. I dunno if you can call it a discipline but there are some nice roads near me.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 02-09-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Ahh you've been reading my late night posts.

Roadriding. I dunno if you can call it a discipline but there are some nice roads near me.
Yes, I see from your signature that you have a few interesting road bikes

I have mainly done enduro and road riding, but I have done one RR club race (Bimota) , some MX club races (Gasgas) and a few speedway races (Jawa) in my life. Even once in trials, when I had kids riding trials and we had a parent's class in a club race. I used my son's Fantic 50cc for that one.

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 02-12-2021, 01:26 AM

Yesterday I rode my bike a little more than an hour.

I had a 15 min test a week ago, but was still a little worried. However, everything seems normal after the rebuild of the bottom end, new piston, rebuilt Lectron etc.
We had to stop due to temperature, as it fell rapidly from -13C to -18C as the darkness fell.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 02-12-2021, 09:55 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Not quite yesterday

So, I turn 60 this year. I've never marked a decade milestone, so I was thinking new bike. I came up with this idea while returning from riding Moab with my daughters in December.

Looked at TM, Beta, Sherco, Yamaha (250x), but after some reality checking (too nice for me to drop on the rocks), I decided to stick with the 2002 EC300. Boy, the TMs are pretty.

So, here's what i did.

1. Repaired a hack frame repair (footpegs) I did about 10 years ago. Silver paint over the new 10 gauge steel welded in place looks very close to the nickel plating of the frame. Re-used a yamaha footpeg bracket which was the basis of the first repair.

2. New piston (after 440 hours) and cylinder re-plate. Most of the time spent was at low RPM riding behind my daughters until they became fast, and then they'd go ahead, and then i'd ride at medium RPM, low load. Rings were good, piston looked great, but the wrist pin did have a bit of a notch where the bearing rode. Cylinder had just a lip at the top, so it was time. Modern synthetic lubricants are pretty amazing. The small end of the con rod had a tiny bit of polish, and the big end and main bearings were tight. No need to tear that apart. I sort of wanted to, but really no need. Just a new piston kit and small-end bearing.

Also cleaned the powervalve hardware, and installed new bearings.

3. New ARC levers.

4. New ebay radiators and AS3 hoses. They fit, hold about 500 cc more coolant, but took some time to make right. $84 for a pair is a deal. CRD rad guards worked, too. The only weirdness is that the left radiator is located further forward than the right. i had to adjust the steering stop a bit to keep the fork tube from contacting the radiator.

The new radiators won't work with stock rad cap, so i bought the rad cap with the built-in thermometer. I can't read the TrailTech with my old man eyes, so this will be good.

5. New brake rotors and pads. Bought GG rotors. Replaced original rotors! Both were at their service limit, so i replaced them.

6. New front & rear brake lines, and new clutch line. New speed bleeder for the clutch slave cylinder. I hate bleeding the clutch with the stock bleeder.

7. Bought spare clutch MC rebuild kit, slave rebuild kit, and clutch pack (DP) just in case. Bike is on original parts right now.

8. Disassembled and lubed suspension - first time ever it didn't need a full bearing/bushing replacement. (I had done the suspension in 2019 when I installed the transformation kit. )

9. New tall Guts racing seat cover and foam. I used the stock seat foam and cover which came with the transformation kit, but i prefer tall seats.

10. New Dunlop Geomax EN91 tires and motion pro composite rim locks. (I had forgotten that I had Talon Rim Locks in the bike. My daughter's KTM needed new rim locks, so i am going to give her the Talon rim locks).

11. Aluminum kick stand from a 2005. Frame tab was welded in a weird way, so i made a spacer, and fixed the lean angle. No more tip-over siestas!

12. Motion pro long T-3 throttle cable.

That's about it. I put about $1,400 into it, but it should be good for a while.

I have a two-month plan to ride this summer ('Rona willing) with my brother and daughters. Lost one of my two jobs last April (not a problem), which frees up summers. I realized that I've spent more time on this planet than i have left, so it's time to have some fun.

Thanks to Neil and Lauren at motocenterAZ.com for their help with parts. I was able to source everything i needed from them. Mark Berg said that bikes from 2000 on would be supported, and I can attest that parts availability was not a problem.

Long live legacy GG / Reiju Enduros.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4181.jpg (129.0 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by blitz11; 02-16-2021 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Forgot throttle cable
Old 02-12-2021, 06:29 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
So, I turn 60 this year. I've never marked a decade milestone, so I was thinking new bike. I came up with this idea while returning from riding Moab with my daughters in December.

Looked at TM, Beta, Sherco, Yamaha (250x), but after some reality checking (too nice for me to drop on the rocks), I decided to stick with the 2002 EC300. Boy, the TMs are pretty.

So, here's what i did.

1. Repaired a hack frame repair (footpegs) I did about 10 years ago. Silver paint over the new 10 gauge steel welded in place looks very close to the nickle plating of the frame. Re-used a yamaha footpeg bracket which was the basis of the first repair.

2. New piston (after 440 hours) and cylinder re-plate. Most of the time spent was at low RPM riding behind my daughters until they became fast, and then they'd go ahead, and then i'd ride at medium RPM, low load. Rings were good, piston looked great, but the wrist pin did have a bit of a notch where the bearing rode. Cylinder had just a lip at the top, so it was time. Modern synthetic lubricants are pretty amazing. The small end of the con rod had a tiny bit of polish, and the big end and main bearings were tight. No need to tear that apart. I sort of wanted to, but really no need. Just a new piston kit and small-end bearing.

Also cleaned the powervalve hardware, and installed new bearings.

3. New ARC levers.

4. New ebay radiators and AS3 hoses. They fit, hold about 500 cc more coolant, but took some time to make right. $84 for a pair is a deal. CRD rad guards worked, too. The only weirdness is that the left radiator is located further forward than the right. i had to adjust the steering stop a bit to keep the fork tube from contacting the radiator.

The new radiators won't work with stock rad cap, so i bought the rad cap with the built-in thermometer. I can't read the TrailTech with my old man eyes, so this will be good.

5. New brake rotors and pads. Bought GG rotors. Replaced original rotors! Both were at their service limit, so i replaced them.

6. New front & rear brake lines, and new clutch line. New speed bleeder for the clutch slave cylinder. I hate bleeding the clutch with the stock bleeder.

7. Bought spare clutch MC rebuild kit, slave rebuild kit, and clutch pack (DP) just in case. Bike is on original parts right now.

8. Disassembled and lubed suspension - first time ever it didn't need a full bearing/bushing replacement. (I had done the suspension in 2019 when I installed the transformation kit. )

9. New tall Guts racing seat cover and foam. I used the stock seat foam and cover which came with the transformation kit, but i prefer tall seats.

10. New Dunlop Geomax EN91 tires and motion pro composite rim locks. (I had forgotten that I had Talon Rim Locks in the bike. My daughter's KTM needed new rim locks, so i am going to give her the Talon rim locks).

11. Aluminum kick stand from a 2005. Frame tab was welded in a weird way, so i made a spacer, and fixed the lean angle. No more tip-over siestas!

That's about it. I put about $1,400 into it, but it should be good for a while.

I have a two-month plan to ride this summer ('Rona willing) with my brother and daughters. Lost one of my two jobs last April (not a problem), which frees up summers. I realized that I've spent more time on this planet than i have left, so it's time to have some fun.

Thanks to Neil and Lauren at motocenterAZ.com for their help with parts. I was able to source everything i needed from them. Mark Berg said that bikes from 2000 on would be supported, and I can attest that parts availability was not a problem.

Long live legacy GG / Reiju Enduros.
Way to Go!
Your bike looks good. (I really like the Guts tall seat foam.)
You've still got a great bike that you like.
and
You're riding with your kids.! Fantastic! (and good that they wait on you. ) Riding with your kids (and grandkids) is great.

My daughter and grandkids don't run off and leave me, yet.
When I can get my three riding sons to all go riding with me, two of them will take off racing each other, while the third will ride sweep to make sure I don't get lost. After a while, they will rotate on who rides "sweep" with (babysits) me. (Getting old isn't all bad.)
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 02-17-2021, 12:09 AM

sold it.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto7man View Post
Where are the photos?
Here are some more for you... there are a few more in the post further up

Last edited by Gasser Nate; 02-18-2021 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:35 PM

Trials bikes are very pure. Wish I still had my TXT200. . . Time to ride it. . Access to the old areas before they got housing. . .
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 02-18-2021, 06:11 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

what is the first photo?

What did you do to make the sachs servicable?
I got a new bump stop for mine and then realised i could not service it. Was worried that i wouldn't be able to remove the bottom bracket without it loosing gas so modified a rubber door stop and ziptied it on "temporarily".
I have since discovered that i can unscrew it without any issues but really think after 17years the shock deserves a service