Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:09 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven
Default Where did my oil go??

So i brought my bike over in a container with all fluids drained. When i arrived i added 900ml belray gearsaver oil to the gbox. I've done 10 hours and decided to service the bike. drained the oil into a container and then poured it back into the old container and it is sitting at only just over 700ml. Where could the rest of the oil have gone?

I thought i might have a small leak into the crank, but then i am sure i would smell burning gear oil (i know what that smells like from my rekluse days lol!)
It has been tough riding - 7-10km in 2 hours kind of stuff

I've never really noticed it before because i used to have a large container that would collect all oil in so wouldn't have known how much oil i was draining in the past. Bike has about 300+ hours and had the bigend done at about 250hrs with almost no wear on the bearings, crank or seals

Old 09-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

You clearly need a new piston Matt. Oil blowing up past the rings and being burnt for sure!

On a more serious note, I'd be thinking it's either still hiding in the cases/transmission somewhere, but 200ml is a fair whack to be hiding. Only other option is like you said, a leaking seal somewhere. If it's not external, it has to be internal.

Water pump seal ok? Usually you see the contamination of water in the oil though. Burning through 200ml of oil in 10hrs you'd think you'd pick the smell or smoke..

If it was me I'd monitor it.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

I've always thought they should invent an oil additive with a unique scent.
You put it in your oil, if you smell it in the exhaust you know your crank seals are gone.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:20 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Well put 700ml in it then check the level. Add more, add more. That will at least tell you how good your draining technique is.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 09-12-2019, 10:55 AM

I?ve never been able to put even 800 ml new oil in during oil change without over filling the gearbox. So next time I?ll stop at 700 ml and check the level. I guess the remaining 200 ml just sits in there hiding
Old 09-12-2019, 02:00 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I spend a bit of time tipping the bike slowly to one side then another resting against a wall.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 09-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
I?ve never been able to put even 800 ml new oil in during oil change without over filling the gearbox. So next time I?ll stop at 700 ml and check the level. I guess the remaining 200 ml just sits in there hiding
gee!! now i'm going to be responsible for the whole forum killing their gearboxes lol

I know for a fact these gearboxes are tough, I got my bike in the crate, assembled it and saw oil in the window so went out for a run-in ride (even though the supplier sent me a litre of oil for assembly). Clutch did make some funny noises but i ignored them :-) drained the oil and i would say there was 300ml max that came out, but i think i got all the rough edges sorted out!!