Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 04-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default Put on a ride - Mums Backyard

Expected around 25 starters, some of which were completely unknown (and all of which failed to show up). We started with 12 riders all of which were weapons. Big km loop set out, and graded at 4. In hindsight it may have been 4.5-5. Lonetree who previously lived in Vic thinks the trails are pretty alright and even some of the southerner guns (Owen where are you!) would find the route challenging.

So we were off into it, in the rain! Wet tracks everywhere! Slippery routes, slippery pine forests/needles, slipperly logs.. Even more logs courtesy of Cyclone Ita the other week. The tracks were at a whole level above their typical fun/challenge factor. Quite a bit of dirt sampling took place throughout the day and a couple of mechanical issues too. A few pull outs early in the day through injury or other reasons and the group kept shrinking.

Getting through hells gate and I had left the lead duties to the guns and ended up helping out with sweeping with Sach. Pushed forward and passed Chris who was stuck on his 300EXC mid hill. An interesting line around him and then waited at the top for 10mins. Not much action from Chris and wondering if he needed a hand I rode back. Chris had his breath back but n Sweep Sach. Back tracked a km through some bs singles and found Sach had stashed his bike and was ready to start walking. We were in the middle of nowhere and hearts were broken. In the end his bike had ran onto reserve and the revs ran away, bike wouldn't start, and also had some damage with the cable so the slide wasn't shutting. Bit of tinkering and we got the TE300 running and on our way again, but well behind the group. Made the refuel point and all others had moved into the nastier section for the day. We weren't in any position to play catch up through there so headed to the pub. Got there and Chris was broken (tired and bike dropping compression). We waited around from around 2:30-4pm until the others dropped in.. ALL ROOTED.. and another bike down with a blown front sprocket and chain.

All had a few drinks and some toasties and then we had to race the sun home (still 80km away). Got in just on dark! Massive day for all!

I don't think there were many pics/videos due to the constant ride ride ride nature of the ride ride ride. Chris stopped to catch his breath after hanging up out of one of the rainforest creeks and snapped a few pics.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Chris

More Chris and another small creek/rainforesty climb out of a gully.

Ohh! Chris looks rooted!

Feels like I'm pickin on the poor bloke
Old 04-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Nice and early in the ride.. around the 30-40km mark. Everyone still kinda fresh, but dropped 1 x mechanical (530EXC with leaking rhs engine gasket) 1 x half mechanical (CR250 fouled a couple plugs) and 1 x physical (Auspowersports had his front wheel ninjad and sampled some dirt with his shoulder).

Later in the arv.. still far from home. I think this pic says it all!

And a few of the bikes
Old 04-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Awesome!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

That's frickin' awesome Jake

Love the shot of the front wheel just sticking up above the top of that climb; I can definitely relate

So cool to see a bunch of bikes and group of friends out together
Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

The ride was pretty hectic. 2 x KTM 300 engines (TE300 and 300EXC) are being pulled for rebuilds. I get the job of doing one for a mate. One x WR450 that blew its front sprocket and chain decided its time for a top end as well. Lonetree has crazy high kms/hrs on his EC250 and had planned to rebuild the whole engine after this ride. Another mate took a dirt sample and is having a bit of time off to nurse his shoulder.

Absolute carnage. I lead the first sections in the morning and then handed over to a couple of other blokes. They're off to Romaniacs this year and their ride fitness and abilities are truly amazing.

It would have been nice to have some video from the ride, but I think only one bloke bothered to run a cam, and due to the conditions he only has limited footage where the lense isn't covered in mud/fog.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Absolute carnage.
Sounds like an accurate description of the day...lol.

Are you doing the full motor on the Katoom, or just the top end? And how did the WR munch it's front sprocket - circlip come off or did the teeth just wear down to nubs and have the chain slip?

The shot of everyone lounging on the grass is great; probably all cursing someone that they still had miles to go
Old 04-29-2014, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

No idea re the WR450F. I didn't see it as I'd snuck back to the pub with the berg who was having issues (dropping compression, damaged throttle cable, rider fatigued). I just saw the 450 rider get dinked into town by another..

Full engine rebuild on the TE300. Its had 2 pistons through it in the last 3 rides. Was the one that swam and died in the bush. Got a second hand piston to recover it, then a good flushing and another top end, but its due for a full make over so the owner has decided to do what has to be done. He's got the top end off and the engine out of the frame. I just have to split the cases and drop the new crank in once all the parts arrive.

Everyone was pretty spent by lunch. It was late afternoon 3-4pm and we'd been riding since 8am with no real meals. One bloke rode to the gutter and laid the bike on its side and thats where he intended to leave it.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Heres some video of another group that went riding the same day. Passed them on the trails and again at the servo. Amusing seeing things from anothers perspective and seeing them struggle on things we were hitting at a decent pace/not even considering a challenge. Thats what I love about bikes. It doesn't matter what your ability is, its always a challenge and always FUN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj6gANrqlTs

They posted a little ride report on adventure riders too! (few pics)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...757409&page=55
Old 04-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

At 3:50 looks like Chris from our group.. Makes sense considering we passed these guys a bit earlier on. Braap!