Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Lighting Up An 08

Hey there,
I have an 08 EC 300 that I am going to street legalize.
Actually, I think it's a DE, the stator wires exit at the 10-o'oclock position.
It seems all wired up to just plug in a head light, tail light etc.
But I haven't seen a regulator/rectifier anywhere...but I haven't looked yet...still sorting out the paperwork.
Anyone have an idea if this bike is wired up to add lights?
Thanks

Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 AM

Moto,

If its an OEM DE like mine with the 2K-2 you do not have a full Euro harness, and do not have a DC system. You have simple basic head, tail, and brake light wiring and probably brake light switches on the master cyls. 2K-2 is pretty limited at 35W, A basic enduro headlight and LED tailight is about it. Your in HI right? I have no idea what the laws are like there now and whats required, but you don't have the juice to run DOT lighting. You would need to swap in a 2K-3 or possibly have the 2K-2 rewound. Also Trailtech makes replacement stators.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Moto,

If its an OEM DE like mine with the 2K-2 you do not have a full Euro harness, and do not have a DC system. You have simple basic head, tail, and brake light wiring and probably brake light switches on the master cyls. 2K-2 is pretty limited at 35W, A basic enduro headlight and LED tailight is about it. Your in HI right? I have no idea what the laws are like there now and whats required, but you don't have the juice to run DOT lighting. You would need to swap in a 2K-3 or possibly have the 2K-2 rewound. Also Trailtech makes replacement stators.
your right on my bike set up
A couple of questions, is that 35w AC , or is there a voltage reg-rect somewhere on the bike.
All I need is a head light...even if it's dimly lit, tail light with a brake light.
I was thinking of running the turn sig, horn off a Nicade battery and only use them for the yearly safety inspection.

Do you think the 35w will supply enough power the run a head light, tail light with a brake light?
Or, do I need to do the conversion to the stator?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 PM

moto,

Its rated 35W AC with an AC regulator (mounted near coil) thats a simple back to back diode "clipper" that limits peak voltage for an approx 12 VRMS. The older XCs and DEs with the 35W 2K-2 used to come with a basic enduro headlight (just like the ECs) and tailight/brakelight, worked fine. I still use one of these Hebo headlight assemblies on my '07 (from an '05) with an LED tail light. LED tailight/brakelight may be driven directly off the AC system. Its bright enough, just dims a bit at idle. Not DOT though. Anything more like directionals will require DC to run the flasher. Adding all that will be a PIA and if possible I'd avoid it. I like to keep my bikes simple. Temporary for inspection horn and directionals sound like a plan but you would still need the switchgear and have to wire it up.

You could convert the 2K-2 to DC with or without modifying the stator for various reasons, but output is very limited. I was thinking of doing it as an experiment (isolated recifier box) to run some 10W LED lights. I would also think it could be rewound for a little more power, might be worth looking into.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
moto,

Its rated 35W AC with an AC regulator (mounted near coil) thats a simple back to back diode "clipper" that limits peak voltage for an approx 12 VRMS. The older XCs and DEs with the 35W 2K-2 used to come with a basic enduro headlight (just like the ECs) and tailight/brakelight, worked fine. I still use one of these Hebo headlight assemblies on my '07 (from an '05) with an LED tail light. LED tailight/brakelight may be driven directly off the AC system. Its bright enough, just dims a bit at idle. Not DOT though. Anything more like directionals will require DC to run the flasher. Adding all that will be a PIA and if possible I'd avoid it. I like to keep my bikes simple. Temporary for inspection horn and directionals sound like a plan but you would still need the switchgear and have to wire it up.

You could convert the 2K-2 to DC with or without modifying the stator for various reasons, but output is very limited. I was thinking of doing it as an experiment (isolated recifier box) to run some 10W LED lights. I would also think it could be rewound for a little more power, might be worth looking into.
That answered my questions, I'll run a low wattage head light bulb, and a under fender LED tail light.
Then for the inspections I'll rig up a DC battery for the horn and turn signals.
Cool, this will be an inexpensive conversion...just to get by the lawman when scooting from trail to trail.
Your the man !
TKS