Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:48 PM

Default EC300 Kickstarter

Hey guys, new GG owner here. Got an '06 EC300 today and it's clean with low hours. Any of you guys have issues with the kickstarter slipping? Previous owner said it did it since new but I'm not sure it should. It generally catches and will turn the motor and then goes straight down other times. He had replaced the shaft thinking that was it but it continued. I've read the springs are weak and won't push the cogs together and that fresh oil may help (which I plan to). If it's just a spring issue, I'm OK with it but if it's a gear issue, that's obviously more involved and an issue I don't want to have on the trail.

Thanks for any help!

Old 11-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

It can originate from the spring being weak, but the weak spring and poor engagement on the gears can cause them to wear as well. Neither are hard to replace.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:13 AM

Good to know, thanks!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:11 AM

I just went through this with my 06. It had been doing it for the past two years, getting progressively worse. I rode the bike to the point that it would only kick over 1 out of 10 tries (or more on the last day). Was hoping to get it to winter, but that didn't happen. I replaced the spring and gears with a known good bike and all is well. The gears that were removed showed CONSIDERABLE wear, though surely my procrastination did not help...
Old 11-25-2013, 11:11 AM

I have a spare set tim if you do decide you need them...take less than a half hour to swap them out...
Old 11-25-2013, 11:53 AM

Thanks, Kev! I might be in touch but don't want to steal your spare set if I can get some. It does it like once every 2 or 3 kicks at the moment. Obviously I will need to order a gasket set too I'd imagine.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Check out the teeth on the ratchet pinion (item 4) and starting pinion (item 6). As they get older the teeth round off and do not engage well. If they look good you can probably stretch the spring to increase its preload a little or just replace it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kicker.JPG (28.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 11-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone for chipping in with the diamgrams and further info. I have a spare set siitting here from mine that I replaced. Mine would only do it every now and then. Like maybe once every ride or two. More spring related than teeth in my case, proven as I didn't change it and still get the occassional slip on new gears.

Try to avoid slap kicking the bike and take up the slack to TDC before giving it a smooth kick through and they'll last a lot longer too.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:19 AM

Not sure if it's of any help. But my friends Gas Gas started having slopping problems after we had removed the clutch side engine cover. The water pump had been leaking.

After it was back together the kick start started to slip. We inspected the teeth and the spring. Checked that it had been wound in properly. Put it back together again.

This time the kickstart didn't return on the spring.

To cut a long story short after several more removals. It turned out that two engine bolts needed heli coiling the one to the left of the kick start and the base one under the clutch. It's worked fine since then.

@Ktmandy
Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the help folks! I'm going to pull the clutch cover and case to inspect it all.