Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Messico weeping oil from weld-best repair? Silencer effect on power

I have an 05 MC250 with a stock Messico pipe with very few hours on it. I just noticed the other day it is barely weeping oil from one of the welded seams in the expansion chamber.

What is the best way to repair this, or should I even worry about it? I have access to MIG and TIG welders and am a fair welder when in practice, which is not now. The pipe appears to be plated with nickel. Should I try to weld this as is or sand the nickel away before welding? Will epoxy such as JB weld work or some other type glue?

Also, I changed the silencer on this pipe to a FMF Q that was made for another bike. It killed all the top end and gave me a ton of low end. I drilled the rivots and took out the spark arrestor and extended the stinger to the length of the outside can, which is about 2 or 3 inches longer than the stock Messico.

The power is back, but will the extra length change power characteristics over the shorter stock? The pipe now has a real throaty sound at lower RPMs, not quite as deep as a four stroke, or big bore.

Matt

- - - - - - - - - -
"Old" bikes>
06 KTM 300XCW- returned-dealer scam- 1st owner seized & returned prior to sale to me as "new"
87 Yam YZ490
81 Yam IT250
84 Honda v45 Magna
74 Suzuki TS400
76 CZ motocross 250-bought new in 81-should have kept
74 Kawasaki G5100

Old 03-03-2007, 07:52 AM

I did it with JB weld, and when done proper it stays on long enough.
Sand it clean and put it on the crack.
Silencers do have influence on the engine behavior. As you said the sound varies hence the waves lengths of the combustion gasses.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 AM

my messico pipe had a crack round the rear mount. hhad the old man weld it up straight over the plating so no need to sand the plating off to get a decent weld.