Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:17 PM

Default Race Prep for 08 EC300?

I know that this thread could be in several different forums, so I apologize in advance.

We are getting the first 08 EC300 (US spec) to arrive in Canada next Wed or Thursday at the latest and are proceeding to head to SC for the 1 National Enduro in SC on Friday morning so time is of the essence getting this bike prepped.

The rider is a SR "A" rider that is a multi-time ISDE Veteran, and is very fussy about bike set up. (That is the polite way to say he is a whiner.)

Give me the run down on what parts I need to have ready for the bike. What about jetting and gearing? I always ran a 50T on the back of my 300s. Is that the norm?

How close is the jetting on the US spec bikes?

I am thinking that .45 springs should be OK for a 180lbs rider.

This rider is super pumped on going to GG after 4yrs of being sponsored by Suzuki Canada on an RM250 (2T).

We are hoping to find somewhere to ride on Sat outside of Sumter to break the bike in as much as anything and give us a chance to play with the clickers and oil levels.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Scott

Last edited by ScottyR; 01-14-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Bump.

Sorry you didn't get any responses on this... I am guessing this one was avoided because noone wants another jetting "discussion"...

jeff
webmaster
gasgas riders club
Old 01-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Site Sponsor

To start with the suspension valving and spring rates should be pretty close for most riders. The WEC bikes we got last summer had the new 08 valving and were much better then the stock 07s valving. Kyle Redmond, who rode one of the WEC bikes last summer and weighs about 180 liked the stock suspension.

As before you'll need two new "motion pro" style rim locks.

Purchase the appropriate LTR jetting kit for starters (you'll have to check what slide you have) and bring along the appropriate main and pilot jets. This should get you close for the initial break in.

You'll need some type of front fender brace as the 08 OEM front fender flops around a lot if its muddy.

Adjust clutch play at the master cylinder to allow for proper deactivation.

Check clutch basket for proper "setting" of main washer.

Check and retighten all spokes and steering head.

Torque triple clamp bolts, engine bolts etc. Lock tight or "anti sieze" appropriate nuts and bolts.

I'd switch to either a 49t or 50t rear sprocket and properly adjust chain length.

At least purchase a set of radiator braces as the new radiators are softer then the older KTM style.

Get a heat gun and reshape shrouds so they won't catch the riders boots (at the bottom of the shrouds.) Also reshape the tips (the leading edge) of the shrouds to point in slighly instead of pointing straight forward as they have a tendency to catch branches.

I would also add the lower radiator hose protectors.

If your rider uses the clutch a lot I'd also add the "in line" radiator hose coolers.

Personally I would eliminate the in-line fuel filter and replace it with a piece of clear fuel line.

Re oil the air filter and double check that it is seated properly, I'd recommend upgrading the filter cage to the Twin Air (CNC) one.

Have fun.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist