Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Pictures & Videos

Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Get well soon.
What type of boots were you wearing?

Old 08-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

hate to admit ggman... when i bought my trials, i bought a set of oneal boots that are the type like a hiking boot... when have been breaking a new old trail out that involves alot of walking... hindsight is always 20 20, but i folded them over like they were nothing... right at the place my ankle is broken.. my 4 yr old alpenstars are twice as stiff in the same area...
never again..
Old 08-05-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendr3702 View Post
hate to admit ggman... when i bought my trials, i bought a set of oneal boots that are the type like a hiking boot... when have been breaking a new old trail out that involves alot of walking... hindsight is always 20 20, but i folded them over like they were nothing... right at the place my ankle is broken.. my 4 yr old alpenstars are twice as stiff in the same area...
never again..
My dad broke both bones in his leg, one of them has a rod down the centre of it now. After he was home we were looking at the boot that he crashed in and it has almost no support in the ankle area and bent very easily, the boots that he and I had were Fox Comp5, we got a pair each when we got new boots, mine lasted less than a year before I had no confidence in them protecting me feet and ankles. Dad always said that it wasnt worth buying expensive boots because they will only last the same time as a cheaper pair, hence having the Comp 5s. I told him that if he had boots that properly supported his ankle it may not have been as bad as it was. So now he has a new pair of alpinestar tech8s and I used my staff rate to make sure they were affordable....

Dad crashed on the last weekend of February and is now thinking about riding in the coming weeks.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 PM

tech 8's are exactly what i am looking at noobi....
i was shocked how easy those folded over
Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 PM

We went with the tech8s over the 7s because the 8 still has a conventional sole, not bonded like the 7, and the 8 has an inner bootie and the 7 doesnt.
The bootie means that the 8s were alot more comfortable, the 8s have a sole with a replaceable insert but still have the stitched sole, so they will grip somewhat while walking, compared to the bonded sole on the 7s.
Although you probably already knew this
Ill post up what dad thinks of the boot when he goes for a ride....
Old 08-06-2010, 02:02 AM

heal fast man!! a good set of boots is the key,, I was looking at a set of the lighter boots for DS work and the trail clearing days.. I'm going to rethink that..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 08-06-2010, 03:21 AM
Site Sponsor

i was wearing tech 10's. with the bootie. the lower frame rail directly under the motor landed directly on the back/outside of my ankle, and pinned me there (after clearing a 12" log - i was in the air, so it came down on my leg with a LOT of force....) the bike was balancing on my ankle basically. if another rider wasn't behind me i would have been pinned for some time....... i think the injury would have been pretty catastrophic with lesser boots. the boots did their job. you can't expect miracles..

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
i was wearing tech 10's. with the bootie. the lower frame rail directly under the motor landed directly on the back/outside of my ankle, and pinned me there (after clearing a 12" log - i was in the air, so it came down on my leg with a LOT of force....) the bike was balancing on my ankle basically. if another rider wasn't behind me i would have been pinned for some time....... i think the injury would have been pretty catastrophic with lesser boots. the boots did their job. you can't expect miracles..
that sounds painfull... not looking for miracles, just the best protection i can get... i was at a buddy's today at lunch, he showed me a picture of a guys foot who hookd a tree limb under the flap of his boot.. it took him off and poked the limb thru his foot... alpenstarts tech 7's i think..
it was nasty looking..

here is the photo.... not mine luckily

Last edited by jhendr3702; 08-06-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Carefully guys! Get well soon.

Did the wife's give you crap about it?

I twisted my ankle last weekend. Hurt like hell and I thought I broke it. Went to the HR and while waiting, a guy came in wearing his riding gear that had taken a branch to the face. His lower lip, down to his chin torn. When his buddy's showed up, they came running in saying there was a guy out in the parking lot that needed a wheel chair. They help wheel him in. He's was also in his riding gear with a towel over his leg. Bleeding real bad. He took a branch to the thigh. My wife gave me the evil eye and said no bike riding for you. Man that sucks...I'm going to miss her.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Site Sponsor

i didn't catch any shit - my gf knows the deal...but a friend of mine who was gonna start racing a series with me next year got the no-no from his wife when she saw the cast. i'm hoping he'll persuade her....

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com