Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:50 PM

Default The Joy of Chasing Parts

Here's a little anecdotal tale for riders everywhere.

Even as a GasGas dealer that tries to stock a variety of essential/tuning parts, it is sometimes necessary to source a particular item from the competition. In this case I was after a particular needle jet (hat tip Jakobi) that is sold only at Suzuki dealers. My plan was to pick it up from one of the three local shops I regularly pass while around town.

The first didn't have it. The second didn't have it, and said the last one he sold was in 2009. The third didn't have it.

I expanded my search out of state, and then to nationally recognized shops. Not one of the first TEN shops I called had it, and none could get it to me before Sunday. Pricing varied by ~40%.

When I did finally land one, I bought the two that were on hand, so if the jetting is as good as its made out to be I can share it with one of my customers who will be racing the same event this weekend.

Happy riding guys! I'll see you at the track, I'll see you on the trail.

Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters

Old 10-04-2011, 10:04 PM

LOL and they say getting GG parts is hard . One of my grandsons has a TTR 90 Yamaha and I can't find plastics for it.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Can you get them from Sudco? I tried to download their catalog, but it is ~236 MB!! With a catalog that big, they oughta' have clutch springs for a '68 CZ!

I've given up on local motorcycle dealers. No stock. It's been a problem since the 1970's.

I am glad you scored the needle.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
Can you get them from Sudco? I tried to download their catalog, but it is ~236 MB!! With a catalog that big, they oughta' have clutch springs for a '68 CZ!

I've given up on local motorcycle dealers. No stock. It's been a problem since the 1970's.

I am glad you scored the needle.
Sudco and Carb Parts Warehouse are the hot ticket for pilots and mains and even single-taper needles, but there is a whole bunch of multi-taper needles captive to the OEMs.

KTM has the NOZs, Yamaha the N3s, Kawi the NFs, and Suzuki the NEs. The dimensions are coded, but my guess is that N is a generic OE descriptor, with O/3/F/E identifying which particular brand, then some diameter and clip position info. Some are listed in the JD Jetting sheet, but not many.

Without making this a jetting forum, I just wanted to share my adventures in getting a fairly common item originally spec'd for a fairly common bike (RM250). Just because it's Japanese doesn't make it easy to get parts for,and just because Gassers are Spanish doesn't make it difficult.
Steven Beane #275

afterhourscycle.com
Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 PM

Hey Steve if you don't mind let me know how the needle works out please. My 2010 300 is running good with a CCK but I'm willing to try something else. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 PM

my local zook dealer got one for me in three days....
seemed fair to me ......
Old 10-04-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
my local zook dealer got one for me in three days....
seemed fair to me ......
My goal was to have it in hand today, which didn't happen, and of the dealers I called, only the one actually stocking the part could get it to me in time for the weekend. If I don't have a particular part on hand it gets ordered at the very first opportunity (my shipping bills bear this out) but I would imagine that almost everyone I called was going to wait for a weekly stocking order.

New Hampshire is a little out of the way for me, but I'd suggest you patronize that guy so he doesn't shrivel up and go away
Steven Beane #275

afterhourscycle.com
Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 PM

I ran an automotive repair shop for about 20 years, chasing parts was a daily habit. I could write a very thick book of the stories about what went wrong or how a $3 part cost me $100.... what ever it takes to get the fix done and the car out the door.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Keen to hear your before jetting and what you end up with after, but alas keeping on topic.

My experience was somewhat similar. Basically the Suzi dealer made some calls. Not a single NEDW in Australia, but they were on order from Japan. A few weeks later I got it.. Took another few weeks before I could be bothered putting it in the bike.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:10 AM

I'm loving it!! Thanks Steve Beane for getting these parts for us too.

I'll tell you guys that when I had Jap bikes, the one place that would always come to the rescue no matter what was Ron Ayers. I love the microfiche, and the low prices.

Pretty soon we will be buying our needles from Jakobi.