Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 AM

I had a talk with a suspension expert and the mystery of the oil might be related to having the outer chamber oil mixing with the inner chamber . This might happen on fast /big compression hits where your fork compresses all the way down. The kind and amount of pressure this generates makes some of the outer oil to pass through the seal on the rebound shaft . There's now an excess of oil in the inner cartridge making the PFP piston to rise above the 7mm standard preload. This oil will be naturally purged along your ride when the PFP is pushed back and travels through the shaft recess . Remember Leo's example. He would bleed the cartridge by overfilling it and forcing the PFP all the way back pass through the recess to expel excess oil . According to the expert, this is very common in Showa's, does not mean there's anything wrong .
This also explains why, when servicing the forks, both cartridges are always off balance when tested before replacing the oil even though I was certain to have them fully equal by measuring the rebound speed side to side . Usually one shows more rebound speed than the other. This is because it has more oil than the other. And no, I don't have a leak on the seals .

This does not explains the sloppy work at factory when initially set. Forget about that and service your forks as soon you can.

Jakobi,
Not sure you have any upgraded parts but I also have some play on the spring but nothing outstanding .

Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wence View Post
Good write up mate.
How do they feel now?
Cheers Mark
After a couple of rides fiddling with clickers and changing my rebound stack to :

Rebound
12 x 0,10
2x20 x 0,10 (added another 20 x 0,10 shim)
18 x 0,10
14 x 0,10

I'm pretty satisfied with the result. I will post my settings later, don't have it with me now .
My suspension is now firm but not stiff, trail junk does not bother me at all , it's quite plush on most of my trail areas but I still get some discomfort on high speed square edge hits. Overall I'm quite happy with this fork for my type and riding skill .
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
After a couple of rides fiddling with clickers and changing my rebound stack to :

Rebound
12 x 0,10
2x20 x 0,10 (added another 20 x 0,10 shim)
18 x 0,10
14 x 0,10

I'm pretty satisfied with the result. I will post my settings later, don't have it with me now .
My suspension is now firm but not stiff, trail junk does not bother me at all , it's quite plush on most of my trail areas but I still get some discomfort on high speed square edge hits. Overall I'm quite happy with this fork for my type and riding skill .
Good work mate and thanks for sharing the shim info.
Cheers Mark
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
....both cartridges are always off balance when tested before replacing the oil... Usually one shows more rebound speed than the other.
Yep. I've noticed this every time I've taken them off.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

These forks are still hard to bleed up, even following the procedure here. All it takes is for a little air to be trapped under the piston. I think that over filling and then getting the final blast/bleed is the best bet. I just did a run at 130mm from top and got a short blast of oil when doing the fast bottom. Everything was working as you'd imagine it would from PFP to all the clickers. As the final test, I inverted the cartridge and then cycled it. From that point on it was all milkshakes!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Default Made a PFP tool

Way better than a 22mm, I saw one like it a while back and finally got a chance to whip one out
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1585.jpeg (47.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3772.jpeg (47.5 KB, 83 views)
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 04-09-2014, 11:43 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

I followed GMP's advice on bleeding the cart but used a 140mm oil height as per the manual and it went back together nice and easy. Rebound speed was the same in both legs and they had full travel.

This thread is the go to on these forks for sure.

That PFP tool looks awesome, going to have to whip one up.

Thanks everyone for posting in this great resource.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
I followed GMP's advice on bleeding the cart but used a 140mm oil height as per the manual and it went back together nice and easy. Rebound speed was the same in both legs and they had full travel.

This thread is the go to on these forks for sure.

That PFP tool looks awesome, going to have to whip one up.

Thanks everyone for posting in this great resource.
The one I played with went back together nice and easy and did everything the way you'd expect until turned upside down allowing the air to travel back through the valving. I'm going to spend a day 'playing' and see just how well I can get one bled.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

No offense intended to anyone, but this thread is one of the reasons that I bought my bike, which came equipped with the older style 45mm 'Zoke forks.
They are quick and easy to work on, with no "headaches" involved; and after my suspension guru modified them for me, they work like magic in the rocks and mountain singletrack.

I loved them on my 2006 DE300 (after modification by the same suspension guru), and I love the way they work on the new bike. (bought last May)
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 04-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

And who is this guru please?