Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 10-13-2015, 09:49 AM

Default Good place to get springs from?

I am 250 with gear and run a 6.0 on my 2011. Stock was 5.2

Up front I am running some of Richard Wilsons progressive springs which are amazing. They are a .45-.50. Stock was .42

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-13-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocalspode View Post
Yikes! 7.5-7.9! I think the heaviest spring I've heard of for the Ohlins rear
shock was 5.6kg - 5.9kg
I am ~210-215lbs with gear on. #30 more with water and tools in a camelback. I believe I am running a 5.4kg on my '02 300 and 5.2 on the
'98 EC250SM....? Maybe the other way around..
There has to be folks on here with more / better info than I.
Yikes is right, I'm fat...haha
Old 10-13-2015, 03:24 PM

Running those kind of spring rates is going to overcome the valving in the shock and forks and will more than likely make for a pretty crappy ride. I would think you will have to do a revalve to make those springs work properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2015, 11:33 PM

i'm running a .47 spring in my forks and a 5.6 on my rear shock on my 11 ec 300. i'm 195 lbs before gear and tool belt and camel back. my bike rides like a high speed couch! strong when you need it, and soft and compliant in the tough stuff. yes i have had my forks revalved , but that is mostly to cure the deflection and choppy-ness of the stock undersized base valves of the 45 zoke forks. my ohlins rear shock is still stock and works very well. Do not be afraid of "stronger" springs as they will hold you up farther in the suspensions available travel than a "softer/ weaker" spring will do. imagine you have 12 inches of travel and you have soft/ weak springs in there. your 200 lbs and you jump on your bike with stock springs, and you have just pushed it down into the travel about 6 inches, you will only have 6 inches left of travel when you are actually riding or racing. now go up in spring strength to something that matches your weight,and when you jump on your bike you will only compress the suspension 1 or 2 inches. so now you have 11 or almost 12 inches of available travel, and you can adjust your clickers or valving to utilize what you now have. big /stronger springs are not stiffer or harsher, if fact just the opposite, try it you will probably really like it. if not when you hear me on your tail when we are 4 hr's into a good ride, pull over as i'm coming through with lots of stamina still left, as my bike has not shit kicked me like yours has done to you.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUSREID View Post
i'm running a .47 spring in my forks and a 5.6 on my rear shock on my 11 ec 300. i'm 195 lbs before gear and tool belt and camel back. my bike rides like a high speed couch! strong when you need it, and soft and compliant in the tough stuff. yes i have had my forks revalved , but that is mostly to cure the deflection and choppy-ness of the stock undersized base valves of the 45 zoke forks. my ohlins rear shock is still stock and works very well. Do not be afraid of "stronger" springs as they will hold you up farther in the suspensions available travel than a "softer/ weaker" spring will do. imagine you have 12 inches of travel and you have soft/ weak springs in there. your 200 lbs and you jump on your bike with stock springs, and you have just pushed it down into the travel about 6 inches, you will only have 6 inches left of travel when you are actually riding or racing. now go up in spring strength to something that matches your weight,and when you jump on your bike you will only compress the suspension 1 or 2 inches. so now you have 11 or almost 12 inches of available travel, and you can adjust your clickers or valving to utilize what you now have. big /stronger springs are not stiffer or harsher, if fact just the opposite, try it you will probably really like it. if not when you hear me on your tail when we are 4 hr's into a good ride, pull over as i'm coming through with lots of stamina still left, as my bike has not shit kicked me like yours has done to you.
I'll look into that, but one issue is I'm NOT 200lbs. With all my gear I am closer to 290-300lbs.

This spring is soft, but I am new so I am not sure what it should feel like. I have just read that bikes should be set to the rider.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:35 PM

After riding with new guys today. Found a local place to do suspension, the whole nine yards for around $600!

He is highly recommended from the MX and Enduro communities. So this might be in my future soon!