Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:47 PM

Default 2018+ Clutch Plates

It looks like the clutch plates for the 18+ models are different part numbers from previous years/models. Just curious what the difference is between the two. If anyone has measured the thicknesses of the 18+ OEM plates (friction and steels), it would be good to know.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
It looks like the clutch plates for the 18+ models are different part numbers from previous years/models. Just curious what the difference is between the two. If anyone has measured the thicknesses of the 18+ OEM plates (friction and steels), it would be good to know.
As soon as I get my new friction discs, probably tweek after next, I will let you know.
I found two different part numbers in two different 2018 parts books. The new number ME25632007 should fit from 2000 to 2020 according to what the dealers website says...
Old 08-19-2019, 08:47 AM

There were 2 different friction plates offered by GG on the fiche for the 18 enduro bikes. One was "standard", one Kevlar.

Allegedly the 19 went to the Kevlar friction as the standard friction plate in all bikes. Some 2017 and earlier GG clutch plates were not compatible with 2018+ clutches according to the direct contact I had with GG North America reps.

Following GG's long established tradition of drunk part cataloging which you can see several examples of in the stickied threads in this forum they kept the same old part number for new designed part. This discovery was a long drawn out process that involved the original GG dealer I purchased my bike from, a replacement dealer after the first proved incompetent, a former GG North America rep that now works for another brand, and the GG North America president.

The confusion of mixing the different parts with the same part number (especially when they didn't work together when mixed), lack of any GG recommended aftermarket replacement discs for the 18+ GG OEM hub and basket, & the prohibitive costs and limited availability of the OEM clutch pack led me to replace it with the Rekluse Core Manual.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:23 PM

That's interesting, especially since I have severe clutch problems since a GG dealer sent me some plates he called Kevlar plates but also said they aren't the OEM ones. Since I have installed them I have serious trouble.

Well I have now ordered another set of friction plates with a different part number and I will see if they work...
Old 08-19-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
That's interesting, especially since I have severe clutch problems since a GG dealer sent me some plates he called Kevlar plates but also said they aren't the OEM ones. Since I have installed them I have serious trouble.

Well I have now ordered another set of friction plates with a different part number and I will see if they work...
I was wondering if this may be part of your problem Doc. Let us know what you find when you receive the new plates. I will be interested to see what the difference is between the thickness of the plates involved. Hopefully your dilemma will help some of us in the future. The more information we have available, the better.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:12 AM

Will do that Jacob, and this time I will measure all friction and steel plates even if they are new. And the stack height.

It will take a few days, the clutch didn't arrive yet, but I'll let you all know for sure.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I got worn out chasing GG clutch parts ghosts. If I had a $1 for every hour I spent working on this and the money back I spent trying to find a fix I'd have a good down payment for a 2020 Factory Edition Sherco.

After the second set of frictions that ran $280 dealer cost I gave up and started pressing Rekluse to sell me one of their Core manual clutches specifically designed for 2018+ that they had in RAMP phase. After about 3 months of me begging they gave in, then thankfully they released them to dealers a couple weeks later.

The 2018+ Core Manual is an expensive initial investment & it still honks a little with the Rekluse basket. I had it fade on me twice in very hard use situations in a couple races but it is still 1000 times more reliable than the ones that come off the GG parts fiche.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhitshard View Post
I got worn out chasing GG clutch parts ghosts. If I had a $1 for every hour I spent working on this and the money back I spent trying to find a fix I'd have a good down payment for a 2020 Factory Edition Sherco.

After the second set of frictions that ran $280 dealer cost I gave up and started pressing Rekluse to sell me one of their Core manual clutches specifically designed for 2018+ that they had in RAMP phase. After about 3 months of me begging they gave in, then thankfully they released them to dealers a couple weeks later.

The 2018+ Core Manual is an expensive initial investment & it still honks a little with the Rekluse basket. I had it fade on me twice in very hard use situations in a couple races but it is still 1000 times more reliable than the ones that come off the GG parts fiche.
Sorry to hear that you had to spent so much time on the issue. Most people don't even think that while one does all the research and testing the fun of dirt bike riding is totally gone. I know what I am talking about, not since my clutch problems but I also spent way over 40 riding hours of testing with a Mikuni equipped orange bike.
Its always frustrating until the crucial point is reached. For me the worst is, if a problem exists and I cannot find out what the heck the root cause is. Then all the testing is trial and error and that can sometimes take forever.

Looking on my personal problem with the clutch, it would have been better and only a little more expensive to order a core manul from Rekluse the very first day the problem appeared.

Its good that I can't afford a new Beta at the moment...
Old 08-26-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you had to spent so much time on the issue. Most people don't even think that while one does all the research and testing the fun of dirt bike riding is totally gone. I know what I am talking about, not since my clutch problems but I also spent way over 40 riding hours of testing with a Mikuni equipped orange bike.
Its always frustrating until the crucial point is reached. For me the worst is, if a problem exists and I cannot find out what the heck the root cause is. Then all the testing is trial and error and that can sometimes take forever.

Looking on my personal problem with the clutch, it would have been better and only a little more expensive to order a core manul from Rekluse the very first day the problem appeared.

Its good that I can't afford a new Beta at the moment...
Odd you mention that. I traded an adventure bike I never rode for a new 2019 Beta 300rr. I had some issues with the GG the day before a race so I decided to just pull the street plate off the Beta and race it. 20 some race hours and a handful of others trail riding the Beta in the last 7 weeks I haven't started the GG since. I liked my GG better but it has always been a maintenance hound and pretty fragile. Especially anything clutch related. I have beaten the 300rr like a race rental and it hasn't hiccupped. I did a Mako 360 bar mount & bought a $570 set of Honda KYB drop in forks and custom wheel spacers for it and it's been golden.
Good luck on your clutch woes. You'll need the well wishes in my experience.