Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default 2007-2008 FMF Gnarly Pipe

Has anybody tried one of the new gnarly pipes (FMF#025095)? If so, any thoughts? Is it any different than the 2006 and later gnarly pipes?
Jason

Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Berkyboy said they are a "copy" of the highly praised DOMA pipe.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Gasgasman,
I was told the same thing and wanted to know if it was true. In the pictures I've seen it looks to be the same design as the pre 07 pipes.
Jason
Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

FMF probably used the old photos for their catalog.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:55 AM

I'm trying one out right now with a CCK needle.

For several reasons I can't really compare to other pipes, but from just riding it it feels like the power is very broad.

Nice and linear. Runs strong with smooth transitions from the basement to the very top. Doesn't seem like a regular Gnarly with good bottom and weak rev. Seems more like a Fatty with heavy gauge steel.

Maybe they figured the GG's had good bottom and didn't need to address that problem.

E-line pipe guard for stock pipe does not fit at all. I'm unsure if the pipe guard for the earlier Gnarly pipes fit. It would be easy to check by calling them.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My 2008 DE 300 came with one. It is pretty much the same shape as the previous generation gnarly / fatty. The E line for the previous fatty/ gnarly fits and fits pretty well not perfect but very close. The new pipe seems to clear the gas tank better.

As far as power I cant tell the difference from my 2006 300 with the old part number Gnarly. But reason being is because the 08 has the light fly wheel and 2k2 lighting coil and my 06 had the heavier unit and a 2k3 so these two bikes don't have the same power delivery to make a comparison to.

I honestly don't think its very different from the previous generation gnarly pipe though.

But what do I know I just crush em like tin cans and replace em like worn out tires!

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 05-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

like a said before, I crush em, replace, repeat.

Went to throw on a new 06 gnarly on my 08 that I had in my parts cash. Cause, yep I did it again, thats right I pretzeled the one that came on the machine. Found a stump in the brush at a high rate of speed. Thinking that really sucks but I'm glad I got a new one in the shop, it should fit, right.
WRONG!

Unfortunately the outlet diameter of the exhaust is smaller on the 07/08 gnarly than on the 06 and earlier part. Were talking a mm or two. Meaning also the new 07/08 FMF turbine core does not slide onto the 06 gnarly. I also notice the length of the end portion after the pipe tapers down to its final diameter is shorter cause the new turbine cores attachment pipe is longer. So there are some definite differences, which may change the power characteristics somewhat from the previous generation gnarly.

But most importantly the 06 and older gnarly will not fit with the new 07/08 turbine core and vice versa.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!