Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Pampera?

I've been kicking around the idea of looking for a Pampera for my son. He's just about ready to bump up in phyisical size, but I don't want to get him an 85, or 105, and the playbikes are too heavy and below his skill level. I think he'd fit a Pampera...

What do you think a guy could expect to pay for a used one?

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 02-09-2009, 06:51 AM

I have an '02 250 my wife rides occasionally. Its great for that. For a kid though, that will exploring and pushing his limits (and crashing), it may not be the best choice. Its light duty(a lot of trials components), not like an EC, and not suited for hard use. I rode it one day at a moderate pace and burned up the rear brakes, everything, had to rebuild the caliper. When my nephew was younger we just got him a KX100, added a flywheel weight, and played with the timing a bit. He did great in the woods on it till he moved up to a GG 125.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 AM

My older sons (now 15 and 17) have thrashed on our KX100 and it has held up very well. Most of our riding in on technical woods trails. The suspension and handling is much better than any other mid-size play bike. Cornering is amazing. The only downside is that it has little low end power. However, my sons have learned effective clutch control.

It has a flywheel weight, skidplate and spark arrestor. I had the rear shock tuned by LTR.

I have done a few top end rebuilds and a clutch replacement over the past 4 years.

You can find a used KX100 for a very reasonable price.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
The only downside is that it has little low end power. However, my sons have learned effective clutch control.
Exactly. He rode that KX100 everywhere we did on the bigger bikes. It made him a good rider when he moved up.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 AM

I've thought of this too. I think a nice older KX 100 would work, maybe weld a washer in the end of the muffler to move that power down a little bit in the rpm range along with the flywheel weight and timing. The new ones are too tall for him. I was drooling over a KTM 85, but it's way to big physically. An XR 100 is the right size, it's just not enough bike.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 02-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Forget the Pampera for sure then, its a full size bike. 18" rear/21" front. Around 200 lbs.

When we got that KX100 used, it had longer pull rods to lower the rear a bit. There is a slight chance they are still in my brother's garage. I don't remember who made them. For the motor just get a nice heavy weight, (I used 10 - 12 Oz) and he will be fine.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:33 PM

That sounds appealing. I think I like the flywheel weight idea. I like the long pull rods to lower it too. I'm not sure it'll be necessary, but he's never actually sat on one, so I don't know.

There's also any number of 80's or 85's out there, which are a little shorter, but for trail work, the bigger the wheel, the better.

Power won't be an issue for him, he only weighs 62 pounds. It would be nice to have a bit of bottom end, but he'll adapt I'm sure. I know I did.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Last edited by roostafish; 02-09-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added power comment
Old 02-09-2009, 06:24 PM

For bottom end on a KX100 my friend found the FWW, reed spacer, and pipe spacer all helped the bottom end alot.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:39 PM

I have a pampera that I've let several new riders try out, every one of them had great success where ever they took it. a very easy and capable bike to ride. there is one in south eugene for sale I think he wants $2000 if he still has it. if interested I know someone who knows him. I did look at the bike with a freind but he didn't want to part with the $$ right now. the bike has a steering dampner, exel front rim, bark busters- bike is well used but has life left. Bruce
Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 PM

What I should do is bring Joshua down to your shop and see if he can even fit on one.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs