Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 12-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi View Post
Things have been moving on.

First one os the truck driver was in court where he admitted careless driving. This means that his insurance company won't contest liability. Once we finalise the losses, my lawyers will put in a claim which should be agreed fairly swiftly.

I have been making progress too, I was almost walking normally without a stick. However it now feels like I have made a backwards step. At my last x-ray appointment one of the screws at the knee appeared to be bent. Rather than risk breakage my surgeon had me in within the week to remove the offending screw, with the option of removing both screws if he felt the leg was stable enough. The good news is that he removed both screws at the knee. The bad news it that the screw had already broken and that half of it is still inside my leg. To top it off, I am back on crutches for a couple of weeks to ensure that the new bone formation does not compress, shortening the leg.

I know it is good news that the leg is stable but going back on crutches when the muscles in the leg were regaining strength is frustrating. The portion of broken screw is also a headache as it will have to be removed somehow before the rod can be removed.
It sounds like you are on the road to recovery. Have patience and don't rush things, and you should be back riding soon.
Best wishes for you in 2018!

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Old 05-22-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
It sounds like you are on the road to recovery. Have patience and don't rush things, and you should be back riding soon.
Best wishes for you in 2018!

Thanks Jim

Unfortunately the road has taken a detour as I was diagnosed with non-union of the fracture in March.
I will be back in surgery soon to have all of the metalwork ripped out of the leg and replaced with bigger stuff. The idea behind this is that they will ream out the shaft in the bone and the fragments this creates will pack into the fracture site effectively forming a bone graft.

Fingers crossed this does the trick, but it is only about 80-90% successful.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks Jim

Unfortunately the road has taken a detour as I was diagnosed with non-union of the fracture in March.
I will be back in surgery soon to have all of the metalwork ripped out of the leg and replaced with bigger stuff. The idea behind this is that they will ream out the shaft in the bone and the fragments this creates will pack into the fracture site effectively forming a bone graft.

Fingers crossed this does the trick, but it is only about 80-90% successful.
I'm very sorry to hear that your healing process has hit a set-back. We're all pulling for you to be completely healed and back on your GasGas very soon.

Jimi
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
Old 05-23-2018, 05:03 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
I'm very sorry to hear that your healing process has hit a set-back. We're all pulling for you to be completely healed and back on your GasGas very soon.

Jimi
+1

Hope it all works out well for you.

RB
Old 06-18-2018, 08:48 AM

Thanks guys.

I had surgery last week. For the moment I am back at home with my feet up. The 10.5mm rod in the femur has been pulled and the bone reamed out to 14mm. The resulting bone fragments have hopefully packed out the fracture site sufficiently to form a graft for new bone. A 12mm rod has been inserted with a locking screw top and bottom.

I will see the physio tomorrow but the plan will be to restart the muscle rehab and wait to see what the x-ray shows in a couple of months.

I should put in the good news that my arm is working fine. I was originally having the occasional ache, but actually less than the left, and a lack of grip strength in both hands but now it seems to have settled. I have some loss of skin sensation above my wrist on the outside but no other issues.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:14 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I had surgery last week. For the moment I am back at home with my feet up. The 10.5mm rod in the femur has been pulled and the bone reamed out to 14mm. The resulting bone fragments have hopefully packed out the fracture site sufficiently to form a graft for new bone. A 12mm rod has been inserted with a locking screw top and bottom.

I will see the physio tomorrow but the plan will be to restart the muscle rehab and wait to see what the x-ray shows in a couple of months.

I should put in the good news that my arm is working fine. I was originally having the occasional ache, but actually less than the left, and a lack of grip strength in both hands but now it seems to have settled. I have some loss of skin sensation above my wrist on the outside but no other issues.
Wow! You've really been through a lot.
I'm glad to hear that you are keeping a good attitude and working through the healing process. It sounds like you are progressing and on the way to recovery.

I wish you the best, and believe that your attitude will carry you through this long drawn out process of getting back on your feet and hopefully riding again before long.
Cheers!

Jim

'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:45 AM

Keep on keeping on. Push forward. Prayers for a successful recovery

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 08-11-2018, 06:52 AM

Still trying to push forward...

The strength in the leg is returning, slowly but steadily. I have my first x-ray and review appointment with the surgeon for the recent surgery. Hopefully it is going to show that the bone is at least beginning to heal.

Come across another snag though. A mountain-biking friend has just had a scaphoid fracture diagnosed after a fall in April. Since my left wrist still wasn't feeling right (no major issues but it was painful to put weight on it if doing press-ups etc) I thought I had better get an x-ray too. Turns out I also have a scaphoid fracture and am going to need another surgery to insert a pin, probably with a bone graft due to the delay in diagnosis.

My doc has checked my notes and it had been x-rayed back in October during the initial surgery but apparently scaphoid fractures are often very difficult to diagnose from x-ray during the first 10 days as the swelling will hold the bone fragments together. The 2 parts will only separate once the swelling subsides.

The lesson here would be to get a sore wrist checked out if it doesn't improve after a couple of weeks.

Last edited by rossi; 08-11-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Still trying to push forward...

The strength in the leg is returning, slowly but steadily. I have my first x-ray and review appointment with the surgeon for the recent surgery. Hopefully it is going to show that the bone is at least beginning to heal.

Come across another snag though. A mountain-biking friend has just had a scaphoid fracture diagnosed after a fall in April. Since my left wrist still wasn't feeling right (no major issues but it was painful to put weight on it if doing press-ups etc) I thought I had better get an x-ray too. Turns out I also have a scaphoid fracture and am going to need another surgery to insert a pin, probably with a bone graft due to the delay in diagnosis.

My doc has checked my notes and it had been x-rayed back in October during the initial surgery but apparently scaphoid fractures are often very difficult to diagnose from x-ray during the first 10 days as the swelling will hold the bone fragments together. The 2 parts will only separate once the swelling subsides.

The lesson here would be to get a sore wrist checked out if it doesn't improve after a couple of weeks.
I'm very sorry to hear of your continued difficulties. I hope that it starts to get better for you soon.

Regarding your "not delaying an injury checkout"; I know what you mean.
I landed on my head during the 1999 Jimmy Jack Enduro in north Texas. It was a wet, rough, and nasty race, and I earned 1st in my class. ( I usually finished higher when it was more important to be able to complete the course, instead of being the fastest rider ).
Only three riders in my class completed the course.
During the race, which was very slick and rough, I did a twenty foot "Flying W" and landed on my head in the mud. My neck hurt for six months afterward, but I never went to the doctor with it.
Last year, I had x-rays for something else, and the radiologist pointed to the x-ray and said, "When did you break your neck? It was a long time ago."

I don't know how the doctor would have helped me back then, but if I'd known my neck was broken, I might have laid off racing for a while to let it heal. I just kept racing.

Good Healing to you!
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 08-27-2018, 10:53 AM

Jim, the doc would have had you taking a break from riding for sure.

Good news is that I had an X-ray on the leg last week - the bone is now healing and the surgeon says it should be good to take impact exercise by the end of the year. The wrist is going to have a bone graft and pin but I'll have to wait to get that done - after 10 months a few more weeks won't hurt - and that should be ready about the same time.

For now i need to keep on with the physio and rebuild the muscles.