Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default How to go faster, no matter who you are.

Best advice I ever got.... "Stand up, look ahead, waaaaay ahead." Kevin Hines, former AMA National Enduro Champion.

After that: "Stand up, the guys beating you are." Mike Lafferty, AMA National Enduro supreme champion.

Standing up lets the bike move below you without upsetting your balance, keeps you proactive for upcoming obstacles. As good as your suspension may be, your legs are better. Around here, single speed, rigid mountain bikes are pretty popular. Watching those guys do what they do makes me feel a little silly on my geared full suspension bike.

Worst advice I ever got?? After a discussion of vision. "Naw mate, don't listen to him, just twist that little twisty thingy on the right a little further, if you don't like what's coming ahead, just let go and grab back ahold of her when you're through." Shane Watts, Psycho, and 3 time world champion, ISDE overall winner on a 125 (2000, in OZ), and U.S. champion.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 10-12-2009, 08:56 PM

i think Shane Watts was taking the piss if he said that. I got his riding dvd in a magazine, he said stand up no matter what. practice doing figure 8s as tightly as possible while standing up. and guess what, it works.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
Best advice I ever got.... "Stand up, look ahead, waaaaay ahead." Kevin Hines, former AMA National Enduro Champion.
And just so you know.....Hines is still at it just without the motor part...but he can still twist it also FWIW. A guy from my local KTM shop (and former New Engalnd enduro champ) still rides with Hines all the time.

http://www.gtisgolden.com/usa/usaeng...80-Kevin-Hines

http://www.gtisgolden.com/usa/usaeng...epic-fashion.#
Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Watt's quote in context: It was an ISDE qualifier, and we all happened to be on 125's (he's a really cool guy by the way, he was mercifully kind to us slower guys who happened to be on the minute in front of him). It was after we had impounded our bikes and we were talking about a section of trail where there was a switchback hill, littered with bikes who didn't make it, and the lack of vision that had given us a fit or two. While we surmised our problem with that section was vision, he popped off, "Naw, don't listen to him mate, just twist that little twisty thingy on the right a little further......" He was kidding. We had a blast talking with him at all of the checks. He was riding an experimental, cool new linkless KTM 125 with fiberglass fenders, and he even offered to let one of our group to ride it!!!

Watts is all about standing up and looking ahead, all about control and precision. On a descent in that race, he came screaming up behind me, and I did my usual get out of the way move. He just abandoned the trail and blitzed on one wheel down an old, brushed in trail, breaking branches, junk flying. He stuck his left foot out, front wheel still in the air, turned left at the bottom, and disappeared. It was probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 PM

Skidad:
I followed the links you posted on Hines! COOL!
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 10-25-2009, 04:11 PM

For those of you who remember the old rec.motorcycle.dirt news group (and I know a few of you used to hang out on there) this should come as no surprise. A fellow called Doc Wu (he really was a doctor) used to spam the group saying he could make you a faster, better rider. When cornered he just said "stand up".

Of course trials riders have known this for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzwEKH-tbw0

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 10-25-2009, 07:17 PM

I remember Doc Wu,, Now I feel old..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 02-27-2012, 04:47 PM

Spent a few days last summer with Wattsy, his dad, and a bloke from Colorado named Hayden, that is a buddy of his, riding in my neck of the woods. Shane is a odd guy and likes to joke around. He is a very controlled rider and it was a pleasure to see his skills and attitude at work. It is actually a little tough knowing whether he is messing with you or not. He loves head games. I think racing is fitness, technique, and head games for him. I will say this as well, he never gave an indication of his ability at any time during the days we rode together, he just rode his bike and observed. He is a master.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Good technique will have you riding faster without feeling it. We all experience those moments where everything just comes together perfectly as the trees whistle on by. You don't feel out of control and you don't feel like you're going all that fast, but you end up catching the people ahead and continuing on.

While standing is an important skill to have, knowing when to stand and when to sit will also make you a better rider. I'd argue that clutch throttle and brake control trumps standing almost any day of the week. If you're not confident in slowing down before a corner you'll never get up to speed before it. If you don't have the finess to power out of it smoothly you'll be all over the shop.

Watts addresses all of the above in his courses. You're only as fast as your weakest skill really.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM

I reckon the best thing for speed is talent and ignorance. I spend all this time p3ss f$rting about with settings and jettings, technique blah and fitness then my brother in law goes past me on the back wheel at 120kmh or inside me downhill eroded corner like I'm standing still and he doesn't even know that his bike has clickers, has never read anything, never been to a ride school, never raced, is just born with it.

He stands up, drops on the seat in corners, does back brake rally power slides, his arms are up and you ask him why? "dunno mate, just feels right"

There is no substitute for talent or cubic inches.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha