Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 AM

I have ridden with glasses all my life. I have really bad vision and Lasik is out according to the doc. Tried contacts, but they are too uncomfortable with the astigmatisim I have. OTG goggles don't work either, the vibration I get is intollerable.

The best thing I have done for riding with glasses on is to buy an Arai XD1. I use the sheild for woods riding just like on a sportbike helmet. I usually have to leave it cracked open slightly to prevent fogging, but still have adequate protection. If the conditions are really bad, you can crack it open a little further until the fog goes away.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 AM

Another thing that works great as a anti-fog for both glasses and goggles is shaving cream. Spray it on wipe it off and your good to go.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

THere is supposed to be a new Anti-Fog spray from Bausch&Loam.

I havent checked it out yet.......
Old 02-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

although i have no first hand experience of this process....
i know a guy who had the clear part of his eye peeled back and a 'contact lense' was inserted and then the clear covering was put back in place.
he called them permanent contacts.
the advantages are that as your vision changes, new lenses can be installed.
they dont have any maintenance issues. they dont reshape your actual eye so they cant make an error in the lens spec.
also he had one eye set for reading and one eye set for distant viewing.
that is probably weird but he said he adjusted to it in one week.
i wonder if they make progressive contact lenses, like the progressive glasses that have three perscriptions in one??
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 PM

The thought of having my eye pealed apart like a onion gives me the willys.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:54 AM

I bought some pro-grip goggles because I had read many times they are the best for fog-free,but I can fog-em just as easy as the smiths I've worn forever. Best thing I've tried yet is to tear all the foam out.seemed to work great last fall. Plan on trying the haber defogger system this season. I'll post my experience.
Moto Farm motor and suspension service 309 310 2540 leave a message
www.halls-cycles.com
Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I do not ride with goggles, nor do i generally ride in bad weather (i know i am lucky!) but there is a guy in this part of the world who swears by habervision eliminator goggles.

They have a little battery operated extractor fan that apparently stop any fogging prob worth checking out if you need to keep your gogs on all the time

http://www.habervision.com/goggles/e...orgoggles.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nYiNDgLxAE
Old 03-04-2011, 07:34 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
I gave up on glasses. I started using prescription inserts in my goggles last year. Awesome! At least now when I fog up so is everyone else. I do carry an old pair of glasses in my back pack in case I trash my goggles.
Prescription lens goggles are the only pair of goggles I ever remember losing. Go figure. I've worn glasses since my teens many decades ago. When it's cold, I take the foam out of the goggles and that does very well at keeping them from fogging. When it's dusty, I put on a pair that has foam. Fortunately, it's either foggy or dusty, but seldom both, so it's worked for me for 40 years of racing/riding. Throw on a few tearoffs when it's really bad and you are peering through several layers, but still better than nothing but glasses. Dick Burleson rode to eight national championships with no goggles, but I couldn't do either.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks Swazi Matt for the info on Haber Vision. The Eliminator fan module will fit most goggles. They also sell the MXT goggle/Eliminator Combo for $75 bucks. You can get double of single lenses for the MXT for $8 and $5. Plus for $25 U can get the MXT optical insert, which U take to your 0ptician and have them put your prescription lens in.
They seem to have everything covered, and for very good discounted prices.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 AM

Thanks for all the replies on this thread. I'm now using a quick strap on my goggles, with the foam removed, anti fog spray and the gauze removed from the chin vent on my helmet. These simple changes have more or less stopped my glasses and goggles from fogging. I'm going to find out if the habervision extractor fan is available in the UK for next winter.

Keep the replies coming, hopefully others will find this thread to be a helpful reference