Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 06-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Default back going out?!

Ok,, so a couple weeks ago I posted I was having a great time riding and all was getting better.. Might have spoke too soon.. I invited GMp over last weekend and was not feeling 100% by ride time,, issues with my hands and my right leg was numb or asleep the entire ride. I came home to find I was dealing with a fever over 100 due to I assumed an ear infection.. All got better.. My back has been a bit sore but thats kinda normal.Been having long days behind the wheel and at work.. Thursday was 15 hrs, Tues and wed 10 each.. so I was tired by fri.. went and mowed my parents yard and their mower died.. So saturday I borrowed a quad trailer to run my lawn tractor down.. all unloaded I went to slide the alum ramp farther onto the flatbed(mind you the ramp weighs like 25#'s, very light) and POP! Im on the ground in seeing stars.. It has happened once before but after 15 minutes I was able to craw away and was back to normal in a few hrs. I was on the driveway for well over an hr arguing I dont need an emt.. I finally was able to crawl onto a yard chair then into the pass seat of my jeep and my wife drove me home.. Took 800 motrins, and into my oxy and no relief,, in fact cant even tell I took the oxy.. this cant be good. sitting is bad, transitioning is bad, once standing not so bad.. If I drop my chin to my chest I get the knife feeling at the base SI joint area.. or is it s1,, where I've been having issues with my sciatica. Trying to decide on what to do where to go from here.. I do have to say I really dont like little old lady's driving.. I almost want to go punch her son for leaving keys for the car in the house..

03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone

Old 06-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Steve...I think it's time to start looking for a couple of good referrals.

Jim Thorpe Neurosurgeons
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 06-05-2011, 12:50 PM

That Oxy. does nothing for me except mess with my brain. Advil works 10 times better for me. Luckily, I haven't needed any since my tib./fib. healed.
I hope you get it sorted out.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:46 PM

Well,, back from the ER in Lehigh Valley Hospital.. After X-rays, and valium and morphine, they sent me home, I got a new Dr/office to go see in the morning for an MRI,, well I have to call them at 8 to get the ball rolling.. The good news, the X-ray did not show anything.. so the vert are still sorta in the right place(yes that how it was put) and no signs of them being to close to each other. Oxy/vicoden/percs all really dont do anything for me.. when I'm in this much pain I cant tell I took them at all.. They do mess with my digestive system.. The morphine did not make me high at all... bummer.. slight pain relief.. right after getting it I felt like I had a piece of lint or something on my face.. that was it.. got more relief from the valium and the motrin 800's..
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Holy crap Steve. Hope your OK. I kinda feel bad going out last week like maybe you shouldn't have, and I probably unintentionially pushed you a bit. I hate the narc painkillers, they don't help me much with that nerve type pain either, even if I'm stupid stoned. I go from pain to passing out, which is the only reason I have taken any in the past(to sleep).

I think you and Craig should find the best spine guy around, a guy that understands active people. Start looking out of area, NYC, etc. Research it.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 AM

Its weird,, I felt fine up to the minute it went out.. I was doing some very heavy lifting that morning.. I rolled a 17hp lawn tractor on its side to get under it and loaded the mower deck into my jeep myself without issue.. Mowed my 1.25 acres and loaded onto the trailer.. drove it 1.25 hrs to my moms,, unloaded it and just sliding the stupid ramp across the floor of the trailer it went out.. The vicodin did nothing for my pain but it did make me sleep through the night.. I'm back on the 800 motrins.. seam to help the best.. I'm charging my phaze stim unit so I can give myself some electro stim thearapy..
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 AM

And you werent pushing me,, I was trying to get to the speeds I carried last week through the same trails.. just could get my rhythm going and felt all out of sorts.. I'm going to ask this Doc about my hand issues while there.. maybe he will have a clue.. He is a mtn biker himself so at least he is active? in the St Lukes system and comes recommended.. I'm not about to have anybody cut me or even stick me with a needle in my spine.. If thats brought up I'm heading to NYC or something..
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Steve, it sounds like a herniated disk to me. It doesn't take much to have it hit the nerve and wreak havoc. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
Its weird,, I felt fine up to the minute it went out.. I was doing some very heavy lifting that morning.. I rolled a 17hp lawn tractor on its side to get under it and loaded the mower deck into my jeep myself without issue.. Mowed my 1.25 acres and loaded onto the trailer.. drove it 1.25 hrs to my moms,, unloaded it and just sliding the stupid ramp across the floor of the trailer it went out.. The vicodin did nothing for my pain but it did make me sleep through the night.. I'm back on the 800 motrins.. seam to help the best.. I'm charging my phaze stim unit so I can give myself some electro stim thearapy..
Almost sounds like when my L5 pops out except for the pop noise. It can happen out of the blue and can hurt like the dickens, sometimes it pinches the psiatic and that is heck in a hand basket! I use a good chiropractor and the go on to the acupuncture lady if Doc can't get it back in
Good luck and I feel your pain.....
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Same with Craig, he's in great shape too. Did P90X regularly too, one day he twists a certain way to get something out of the car and POW! He has confirmed bad discs. If the disc damage is done maybe its just a matter of moving the wrong way, not with excessive force, just a thought.

What the docs told me when I had a problem was that the nerve stays irritated and pissed off for awhile after the pressure of whatever touched it is removed.