Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:21 AM

Default Needle experts please 300ec AS1

Hi all, I have been experimenting with my jetting and i am getting close to what i am seeking with the N3EH KTM needle.
However it is on the top clip #1 and it still blubbers around 1/4 throttle, I am thinking this is the first taper a little rich?
I would like to be where I am now everywhere else and a little weaker on that transition with the needle preferably on the middle clip , giving me room for adjustment.

Can anyone tell me the next choice? Needle or slide?

AS1 38mm, 40P, 178 air screw is about 2.5 out but engine is not very responsive to adjustment of it. Bike Starts, ticks over, pulls strongly at all throttle openings right through the range with smooth transition to full power but at slower/lower throttle openings it hangs on blubbering too long unless i am giving it more gas by winding on more quickly, at a steady throttle on road it blubbers up to about 45/50mph till it runs cleanly.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
Hi all, I have been experimenting with my jetting and i am getting close to what i am seeking with the N3EH KTM needle.
However it is on the top clip #1 and it still blubbers around 1/4 throttle, I am thinking this is the first taper a little rich?
I would like to be where I am now everywhere else and a little weaker on that transition with the needle preferably on the middle clip , giving me room for adjustment.

Can anyone tell me the next choice? Needle or slide?

AS1 38mm, 40P, 178 air screw is about 2.5 out but engine is not very responsive to adjustment of it. Bike Starts, ticks over, pulls strongly at all throttle openings right through the range with smooth transition to full power but at slower/lower throttle openings it hangs on blubbering too long unless i am giving it more gas by winding on more quickly, at a steady throttle on road it blubbers up to about 45/50mph till it runs cleanly.
If you say that your air screw adjustment is "not very responsive to adjustment of it" - then my guess is that you didn't back out your idle when going from older needle to new. It is still "pulling over" - you need to get slide down so that pilot circuit has more effect.

I would think about going up to 42 pilot - back out idle so it isn't in all the way to the point of being "coil-bound".

Air screw - I would start at 2 to 2.5 turns out.

jeff
Old 12-07-2020, 02:03 PM

Thanks Jeff, I have the slide well down, there is some response from the airscrew but it is not very dynamic.
I have tried the 42 pilot and it is too rich. I am waiting on a 38 that I was going to try with a CCK keihin needle, as with that needle it was slow to clean up from a closed throttle.
With the Kawasaki needle this hesitation has moved up to about 1/4 throttle so I think the pilot is about right. I am just out of needle slots to adjust it down further, but every where else is really good and I don't want to loose all that quality mixture.
I am wanting to know which needle i need to go to but it struck me that I could maybe keep things very similar at other throttle openings by changing the slide instead
This kawasaki chart shows the needle progression as it goes leaner in general and i am trying to achieve leaner in a specific throttle position It also shows the use of a #8 slide which may or may not be relevant to the GG.

Last edited by Dread; 12-07-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: To add further information
Old 12-07-2020, 06:41 PM
Administrator

I see from another post of yours that you have a 2007 gasgas....

Another issue you might be fighting is wear on the nozzle. (the needle fits into the nozzle).

The nozzle is not replace-able on this carb...

jeff
Old 12-07-2020, 07:37 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Is not conventionally replaceable.

Good light source and magnifying glass will spot any ovality.

I replaced mine with the metering block from a lower hour PWK. In this case a 125 35mm carb which fit the 38 (39?) Was same profile at slide oddly. What was slightly different was the pressed in nozzle was plated rather than bare. Cant swear they are all the same size

STIX or something do an aftermarket version that some claim is improvement. Very spendy.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 12-08-2020, 04:07 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, The needle jet is in good condition not too many hours on the bike .
Old 12-08-2020, 09:18 AM

Well my enthusiasm got the better of me so using photos I have found on the net as a guide I have modified my #7 slide to be a #8 slide.
The result is fantastic, clean strong torque all the way through the range. the Fourstroking (blubbering) at 1/4 throttle is gone. Yeehaa

Now considering doing the notch mod to the airbox side of the slide to clean up the tickover.

Still the same question, what needle do I fit to stay as is with the clip in the middle position ?
Old 12-08-2020, 10:00 AM

Well my enthusiasm got the better of me so using photos I have found on the net as a guide I have modified my #7 slide to be a #8 slide.
The result is fantastic, clean strong torque all the way through the range. the Fourstroking (blubbering) at 1/4 throttle is gone. Yeehaa

Now considering doing the notch mod to the airbox side of the slide to clean up the tickover.
http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/image/165750894.jpg

Still the same question, what needle do I fit to stay as is with the clip in the middle position ?
Old 12-08-2020, 04:26 PM

Can u do a full post of the mod??

Sent from my SM-J610FN using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2020, 10:22 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Good job Dread, glad you got that 1/4 throttle "cleaned up". It seems that people hesitate to mess with slides; maybe largely because they are expensive. But fyi, similar to your experience, both of my GG 300s love a #9!

Jeff

Last edited by farmerj; 12-10-2020 at 08:52 PM.