Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Default Desperate for help

My starter won't work and kicking that 300 is making the arthritis in my right knee flare up. Bike is a 2018 ec300 that I bought used and I suppose all the mods to the starter had been done by the previous owner because it always started great until recently when the started didn't disengage upon startup and that fried the starter relay. I have since replaced the relay and the starter motor. When I short across the two large terminals on the relay the bike fires right up but I don't even get a click when I use the button (it's new also). Even shorting across the black/white and yellow/red wires that go to the button does nothing. I'm stumped. Is my new relay bad? Could the diode module be bad? Thanks in advance for any help you can be. Ken

Old 06-24-2021, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Look at the wiring schematic on page 68.
More than likely, the relay is bad.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i93vw77r9k...anual.pdf?dl=0
Old 06-25-2021, 08:12 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Until you fix the magic button, can you use your left leg standing next to the bike to start it? Since they are both from Spain it will be kinda like kicking an old Bultaco. Umm, errr except backwards,,,,, twice.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
Until you fix the magic button, can you use your left leg standing next to the bike to start it? Since they are both from Spain it will be kinda like kicking an old Bultaco. Umm, errr except backwards,,,,, twice.
I started my Bultaco that way back in the 60s. But the new bikes are pretty high up and it's hard to find a stump the correct height when you stall in an awkward location on the trail. A milk crate works fine in the parking lot.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:18 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default yz

I'm assuming you already have one, but for just in case ,if you have to kick a yz lever makes life easier .
Old 06-25-2021, 07:37 PM

Most of my rides are with other old people and they'll stop 10-20 times to talk during a 30 mile ride AND YES THAT GETS OLD.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:21 AM

I know it seems daunting but electrical is really pretty easy even though somewhat time consuming. All you need is a multi-meter. If you have the factory wiring diagram you just need to test continuity (ohms) of each wire on the starting circuit. The one that doesn't have continuity (no reading - OL) is where the problem is. If all wiring tests good then it is a component. You can test the switch and the relay using the same settings for testing the wires as you're only testing the in/out of the part. Remember, just because a part is new doesn't mean it's good!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220