Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 03-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Default wear in rear linkage HELP

recently got a 99 ec300. lots of up and down play in the rear so changed out bearings and bushings..play not so bad now but still there. the bolts seem a bit sloppy in the bushings and also in the dog bones (link arms)...can you say if the bolts are likely to be worn and also the dog bones...where is a good place to source these in the uk....thanks in advance

Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to ggrider.org

I don't think the bolts or the dog bones are worn.
Usually, the bearing get worn out which allows the bushings to have excessive play.

You may find the bearing kits here......
http://www.trialendurodirect.com/index.php
Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 PM

It sounds like all your bearing are good, once you know this for certain lube it all up assemble and just barely start to snug the bolts up. Then I use a rachiting tie down from one side of the swingarm over the seat and down to the other to preload the whole system, now go back and tighten everything down to spec or a bit more. BE CAREFULL to get the lower shock mount just right and not to tight as it is aluminum. This should take every last mm of play out of the system. Those 99's were sweet! YOU should know they turn everybit as good as the new ones. The Nickel frame is way cooler than the powder coat as well, not my opinion but fact.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Welcome to ggrider.org

I don't think the bolts or the dog bones are worn.
Usually, the bearing get worn out which allows the bushings to have excessive play.

You may find the bearing kits here......
http://www.trialendurodirect.com/index.php
CHEERS
i have put in new bearings and bushings but still sloppy even with all tightened up

the linkage had been seriously neglected by the previous owner to the extent that the old bushing was actually broken in half
will continue to hunt for bolts and bones
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM

Are you absolutely sure the shock is not moving? If the top shock bearing is bad or if the shock needs servicing it could be moving. Just a thought.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default same thing

I bought a bike that had just had new bearings put in although it appeared to have been waaaaay to late.The swingarm bolt ,the engine cases ,and linkage from the swingarm bolt were all ruined. Check your swingarm bolt for grooving and cases for oblong hole.hope its not but check those.
Stoby
Old 03-11-2011, 01:41 AM

My 99 EC 300 was just the same, talk to Dave at Biketech in the UK he'll know the answer and have the bits too.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:00 PM

The holes, cases and bolts only get hogged out if the bolts are loose. The bolts hold the bushings captive and don't need to be perfect. The top rarely wears out.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
The holes, cases and bolts only get hogged out if the bolts are loose. The bolts hold the bushings captive and don't need to be perfect. The top rarely wears out.
but surely if there is play between bolts and bushings in the linkage then this will allow play(up and down movement) between the bearings and the dog bones as they are only joined by the bolts............

was out today for the first in a long time...lots of really tight gnarly ruts in the woods...loads of mud......no grip.....absolutely knackered and very shocked by how unfit i have become.....must get out more
Old 03-13-2011, 01:07 PM

If every thing is properly tightened there is no play in the system. Of course you want top notch hardware but even with worn hardware their is no play in the system.