Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Head Gasket/O-ring replacement-anything special?

It appears that I may need to replace my O-ring on the head, I am getting a little bit of oil/residue in my radiators. A small amount of oil has begun to appear floating atop the coolant and after draining/replacing the coolant it has reappeared (I think I have eliminated the possibility of it being left-over lubricant from the factory). Tranny oil is fine.

I have the O-ring and although I have replaced many top-ends I have just returned from the 4T world so it has been a while since I have torn into a 2T engine.

Anything special I should know about when removing/reinstalling a GG head?

Thanks

2010 300 40 hrs

J

2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public

Old 07-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Probably not the head o-rings. There's no oil "flow" in the head that can migrate to the coolant.

Most likely it's the water pump seal. When the coolant cools off, there's a vacuum effect that can draw trans oil into the cooling system.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Probably not the head o-rings. There's no oil "flow" in the head that can migrate to the coolant.

Most likely it's the water pump seal. When the coolant cools off, there's a vacuum effect that can draw trans oil into the cooling system.
What he said ...

The o-rings are easy enough to change, just loosen your head bolts in a criss-cross, little bit at a time fashion. You can stretch the o-ring slightly if it needs help keeping in the groove, and dab or two of grease can be of assistance as well.

If you had cut an o-ring or somehow caused a failure, you would be pumping into the rads and you would begin to lose coolant. It doesn't sound like that's the case, so ...
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post

I was thinking unburnt premix was the oil I was finding in the coolant as when I initially posted with this issue folks were indicating the head o ring.

So when the cooling system cools down it can pull tranny oil into the coolant....hmmm. The consistency of the substance I am finding in the coolant is more like tranny oil then premix.

So next question: replacing the water pump seal-anything special with the GG's. I have done a couple on other makes but never a GG.
I think I have a spare seal
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public
Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Its different than other bikes, its a high speed ceramic/graphite pump seal. No harder to change, just different, it has several parts. You can do it with a pump cover and impeller removal.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

How did you go Husley?

My 2010 has just started doing the same. Its only the smallest bit of oil but you can see where it leaves a smear in the resevoir. Same on the seal of the rad cap. Another job to be done..

What are the odds of getting this done under warranty? Or is it general wear and tear?