Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Default 1997 EC250 No lights at all

Help! Just installed a new Trail Tech X-2 headlight on my 1997 EC250.. It worked great for about 15 seconds then all my lights stopped working. No running lights, no brake lights and no headlights. I happened to be monitoring the voltage input to my Trail Tech Voyager at the time and saw a spike of about 19 volts but then it went back to a normal input voltage. I think I may have had a short around the voltage regulator. I think I found the short where the wires coming out of the stator connect to the bike's wiring harness. Found two connectors melted together.
Before I get too far into this I thought I would ask if any of you have experience with this...
also I have 3 wires coming out of my stator, 2 yellows and a red. One of the yellows was cut and left unattached by the previous owner is that a problem? Thanks.
DM

Last edited by Dkskioh; 09-07-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:43 PM

Do you have a wiring diagram for your bike? I believe the early bikes had a double stator arrangement so you have to be careful identifying which wire is being used.

I've added a wiring diagram for a quad since I think it might resemble your wiring (ignore the reversing motor).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiring diagram for wild 300.pdf (171.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-07-2014, 06:35 PM

I believe u are correct! I see 2 sets of wires coming out of the stator area. Looks like one is to the ignition and one for accessories! And no I have had a lot of trouble finding a good diagram for anything pre 2001. Thanks for the post. I will check out that diagram and see if it resembles what I'm seeing on the bike!
DM
Old 09-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Did you get the DC/AC converter for the headlight?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:49 AM

No. Didn't know I needed one.
I thought the light would run off of bikes power even though ther ie no battery on this bike
Old 09-08-2014, 10:48 AM

I looked at TrailTech's site and it depends which model you buy.

The HID version indicates 70W DC power. Your bike would need a battery for this to work properly.

The Halogen version indicates 70W power, which can be either AC or DC. The Dual Sport version is also Halgen so it uses either AC or DC. It has an altered light pattern for road use. The Halogen light should be OK with stock AC wiring as long as you had a 2K3 stator or the older double stator setup. Connecting to the outer external style stator would probably be best.

Are there any fuses on your bike? Can you pull the staor cover and take some pictures for us?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:44 PM

Neil,
Thanks for the post! I will take photos and post them. I opened my ignition cover and found the stator is in the outer cover. Never even seen a diagram of this setup. Also looks like the stator is in pretty bad shape. Don't believe the cover has been opened since new. Found trapped water and lots of corrosion. This project is rapidly growing in scope!

After some additional exploring, I think this may be a Ducati external stator.. The voltage regulator was a Ducati 3 pole type, with 2 inputs and a ground. The stator looks pretty rough and I'm pretty sure the regulator is shot. If I need to replace them do you have any ideas where I might find those parts? It is pretty hard to find anything on these earlier bikes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.9 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Dkskioh; 09-08-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:01 AM

I think that if you pulled the flywheel, you'd find another stator under the flywheel. I've heard that both stators were used, but I'm not sure how they shared the vehicle's electrical loads.

Based on the quad diagram, it looks like only the external stator is connected on the yellow wire "small circle 31". Red wire "small circle 61" is used as the ground. The lighting output of the inner stator at "small circle 56" shows not connected.

If your outer stator is shot, it's possible that the yellow output wire from the inner stator could still be used to power your lights. You'll have to do a lot of wire tracing to figure out where everything goes. See if it matches the quad diagram.

I think the stock voltage regulator could be used with any of the windings. The other device in the diagram is a voltage rectifier to convert AC into DC only for the reversing motor (marked with a big "V"). That would not exist on your bike.

I have no idea on where to source parts. GMP might know if you were able to contact him through a Beta/Sherco forum (whatever he rides now). Jim Cook is the other guy who might know, try sending him a PM on this forum.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Thanks Neil

I got it dismantled, and may have found a source in the ducati bevelled round case forum. Seems they used the same setup and there is a guy who will ship you a re-wound one if you send in your old one.. going to try to contact him and will post what I find out.

DM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stator removed from igniton cover.jpg (130.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Ducati Rotor on 97 GG.jpg (123.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-09-2014, 06:26 PM

Well I was thinking you might use the inner stator, but judging by how rusty everything looks, maybe it's best to just fix the outer stator. Good to hear you found someone to do it.

Did you find any information on testing the outer stator? Measuring ohms to know for sure it's bad?