Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > Other GasGas Bikes/Quads

Other GasGas Bikes/Quads Trials, Pampera, Wild HP, etc.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 PM

Its fine to develop new technologies, but do do it under the lie of being green. A battery is a mini toxic waste dump, and costs more energy to produce than it will ever save in its lifetime. And don't bring it to market until its at least as good as the technology its trying replace.

The electric vehicle is not green. Right now the batteries in a Prius need to be replaced after about six years of use, at a cost of about six thousand dollars. It is a disposable car. And it doesn't get better gas millage than its internal combustion counterpart.

The most green vehicle is one that has already been built and that you can drive for a very longtime.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM

I'm glad some of you guys see through this BS. I have nothing against developing this new technology, BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF THE TAXPAYER in the form of a subsidy, and not as part of a policy that cripples the acquisition of our current energy resources. As I recall, Spain's green energy programs did not help its economic situation. Let companies invest an amount that the market sees fit and let it mature naturally. When its ready it will work. You can't operate at a loss in this day and age to make some special interest group happy.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
Its fine to develop new technologies, but do do it under the lie of being green. A battery is a mini toxic waste dump, and costs more energy to produce than it will ever save in its lifetime. And don't bring it to market until its at least as good as the technology its trying replace.

The electric vehicle is not green. Right now the batteries in a Prius need to be replaced after about six years of use, at a cost of about six thousand dollars. It is a disposable car. And it doesn't get better gas millage than its internal combustion counterpart.

The most green vehicle is one that has already been built and that you can drive for a very longtime.
I agree with everything except what the most green vehicle is and I'd have to give 1st place to a bicycle or a horse but I doubt that the "green" people would care to ride either one to work everyday.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 AM

Good point, the most efficient machine ever created is a man on a bicycle.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:19 PM

I would like to have seen that engineering effort and expense put into bringing a well developed, refined, and robust DI system to the enduro bikes in a competitive timeframe. JMO.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankydoug View Post
...the most advanced battery can only hold 1/25th of the energy of the same weight of gasoline. I guess if batteries get 25 times better they will be on a level playing field assuming gasoline engine research stops to wait for batteries to catch up.
According to this wikipedia spec: Battery is 9mj/kg and petrol is 43.2Mj/kg, that is less than 5 times as much, not 25.

But electric motors are 1/3 the weight and a much better torque/power curve.

We are at the tipping point where nano-string battery technology will not increase battery output by double, but by 10 times.

GMP, you can't make petrol motors green even if their is green energy available, but you can plug an electric bike into a water/solar/wind power station if available - that is my point.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 PM

I understand your point, but its all theoretical and not economically self sustaining at this point in time. Over here, they want to waste millions putting a wind farm off the NJ coast that will generate a mere fraction of the power required locally.

Like what was said here, there is absolutely nothing "green" about electric vehicles, solar cells, and batteries when you understand the whole picture form manufacture to disposal. Only the nice, clean parts get played up by the proponents, for political and monetary gains (Solyndra and GE come to mind)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Electric motors achieve maximum torque at 0 rpm on up. For trials, that would be a good thing.
There is a guy who I compete with here in CA who converted a Montesa to an electric motor. It seems to do well.
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM

If it works, and its an advantage, then yes by all means go for it. As long as its not a solution in search of a problem. The company is after all in the business of building competition motorcycles.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

didnt the trials bikes get banned from competing with the enduros at the same time during endrocross? i think the trials has their own laps but not with the enduros. i did go to the endurocross here in las vegas but for some reason my memory is not clear and if i remember right heinkens actually improve your memory and looks and personality.
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300