Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 10-15-2007, 06:15 AM

Question Sciatica

Anybody have experience with this? How long for recovery?

I generally have a healthy back, work out a lot, able to lift and bend, and ride without issues. Never had an XRay or MRI because there was never a need.

About two weeks ago I started to get an annoying pain over my left butt cheek that would come and go. No injury prior to this, just some somewhat strenuous lifting. Following Sunday I went to an Enduro. I got about 7 - 10 miles and had intense pain in my left leg, so bad I had to pull off and go back to my camper. I could only walk a few steps at a time, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. Went to the ER, doc said it was Sciatica from lumbar strain and gave me muscle relaxers, no XRay. Regular doc the next day said pretty much the same thing and that I would be better in two weeks. Its been a week and while I can sleep without drugs and walk I still have pain. Riding is out of the question and this scares me. Thinking about seeing a Chiropractor. Any experiences good or bad?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 AM

I've gotten it after long drives. Just in the butt though. Never down into my leg.
It usually lasts 2-3 weeks if I don't have another long drive to aggravate it. Riding doesn't bother it at all for me. It just makes stretching before painful.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I have a herniated disk in my lower back which causes the same nerve issues. PT is what helped me immensely. The PT helps relax the muscles so the nerve isn't being pinched anymore.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:12 PM

Thanks guys. I'm actually feeling a lot better today, just a slight pain and not constant. Seeing a Chiropractor tommorrow. Maybe its not too bad if it subsided so fast, I hope.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Thanks guys. I'm actually feeling a lot better today, just a slight pain and not constant. Seeing a Chiropractor tommorrow. Maybe its not too bad if it subsided so fast, I hope.

Hope you get to feeling better Glenn. My wife goes to the Chiro once every 2weeks to get an adjustment and she comes back a new woman.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks Robby. I figure he can also help me modify my exercise routine. The regular doc suggested PT but its tough finding time for that after work, where I go to the gym myself at lunch.

Its just scary when something like this happens out of the blue, and takes you out.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 PM

A year ago this month, I lifted a heavy diesel cylinder head in a awkward position, felt an immediate burning sensation in my lower back. The next weekend after riding in a 40 mile Poker Run in a CR500, my right leg and butt was burning and tingling. Off to a Chiropractor, the best one recommended by several people, anyway he said I should return to normal after his treatment, kept going back for more painful adjustments. After 2 weeks, I felt worse so I scheduled an appt with my Doc, he immediately suggest a PT at a Spine Clinic and a MRI. In just 2 visits with the PT, I felt vastly improved. They measure your movement and then coordinate proper stretching to reduce the disc tension on the nerve. Never once took pain meds, thats just a temporary relief.

Went back to the Chiro for a partial refund, they looked shocked when they asked how I felt, told them great with a smile. The MRI revealed a ruptured disc but the good news is the neurosurgeon said no surgery needed and imposed a 50 lb lifting limit.

Had a sciatica flareup this past month, caused me to miss a local poker run. Taught me again to stay focused with the daily self home stretching program suggested from the PT. I still snow ski and ride hard as ever.

Good luck with your appt, hope you heal up soon !
Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

So, ggrider, that's why I didn't see you at the Shotgun PR. Alright, you're off the hook. I saved a set of pink grips for you since I thought you wimped out. I won't put them on your bike now.

It's amazing what good health professionals can do for you. Don't judge Chiropractors to harshly. Just like any professional, the best ones are the ones who are in love with what they do, not with how much business they can drum up. I have also had amazing results with PT. Chiropractic, and Acupuncture as well. Sciatica is a bummer. It's not something to just ignore, if there is a mechanical problem with your body, just like your bike, the longer you ignore it, the more cost and downtime will result.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 10-17-2007, 04:47 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Thanks Robby. I figure he can also help me modify my exercise routine. The regular doc suggested PT but its tough finding time for that after work, where I go to the gym myself at lunch.

Its just scary when something like this happens out of the blue, and takes you out.
I just would not want to go to a Chiropractor if it was a herniated disk. That is how these things happen sometimes - out of the blue. When I did my back in I didn't feel any pain until the next day. I sure the chiropractor will put heat on it and put you on the ultrasound (I think that is what it is) machine and that should really help.

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 AM

Well I'll see how it goes, worth a try. Most of my riding buddys swear by them. Right now I'd say I feel about 90%, Actually better than before the race. Because there was no obvious trauma event before symptoms, neither doc wanted to write a ticket for an MRI. If I'm not 100% soon I'll go back and insist. Right now I feel the worst when I get out of my truck at work after an hour drive, then is subsides after the short walk to the building. I may need a prescription for a new truck.