Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 10-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Default Back to work!

Well its been a long summer,, and now being out 6+ months going back to work is a happy change.. Hopefully soon things will be looking up enough to pick up a new bike.. as I sold the 03 after the incident.. The Dr. gave me the ok to ride on the street,, said to make it short trips till My back gets used to the action of riding again. Been in PT for 6 months and feel good strength wise but I still have a good amount of pain in the lower back. They said that will take a while to go away, but no screwed up discs.. I'm thinking about borrowing a street bike for a while to try out.. But what to buy?? I'd like a plate on whatever I get so I can use it to ride to the trail instead of trailering it everywhere.. but that will be another thread in another part of this forum..
Steve

Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Great news Steve!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 PM

Steve - Good to hear. I broke my back (compression fracture of the T10, 11, 12 and L1 vertebrae) in Feb. of '94. Had to wear a brace for 9 months. Couldn't do any impact exercising for another 6 months after that. Finally got back on the bike until June of '95.

Unfortunately after an hour or so of riding my back would be in pain. I went to two orthos and two chiros and their only solution was I shouldn't ride. Then one day I had a spectacular crash and, while I rag-dolling in the dirt, felt something go pop in my back. Immediately the pain went away and never returned.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:20 AM

back injuries suck, i only 7 weeks ago crashed into a tree. Hit it with the top of my head, with a straight back. Compression fractures on T3, T4 and T5. I was lucky tho just seen the specialest and he said should be good for riding by the start of next year.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:27 AM

Wow,, that sucks man,, hope you heal fast! you going to be getting pt and all??
Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 AM

Well,, Where to start,, I was told in Dec that I could ride,, yup in Dec.. snow on the ground.. The kicker,, no dirt bike,, told to street for now.. maybe this summer try mild dirt roads trails.. that kind of stuff.. I havent rode street since I was 19 or so,, so this spring I was looking at 4strokers,, unsure of what I wanted or could ride I went with a bike I always wanted,, lc4,, got me a nice condition 03 sxc 625 for a really good $$.. Took her out on several short solo street rides.. Then yesterday I went for a ride with my buddy Dave "digger" "Slab" and many other nicknames as he is our local riding mortician.. We are checking on the dirt route of the upcoming "Jim Thorpe Smoking Hole Rally" a ds event with 2 groups, big bikes and dirt bikes(real street legal dirt bikes).. I ended up doing 37 miles of enduro trail on a big 625.. dropped her only once.. or twice if you count when I couldnt find a place to put my foot down when stopped..
Now, I'm sore, back is sore and the one get off is from the bike stalling on a steep downhill,, I rolled off right onto a rock with my hip,, so I'm walking funny.. We will see how monday goes.. If I can do this for a couple months I'm thinking a newer GG 250 should find its way here.. I need to sell some things first tho.. and fix some things on the house..
So the rehab bike is working.. and it really seams to like riding on one wheel more than two??
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 05-10-2009, 09:08 AM

Hey that's great. Sounds like things are going good but it's always those few days after that can tell the tale. Glad you're enjoying the SXC, I do miss mine and they are quite capable trail bikes even at 300lbs +. If Glen decides to sell his 250 you should be all over that as I'm sure you won't find a better setup/maintained bike. Now get to work on the house and sell some stuff
Old 05-10-2009, 02:44 PM

Great to read about a positive rehab experience. Good luck, and I hope you end up on a real dirt bike soon.

ps
that 450f in my sig has some real one wheel issues as well
Old 05-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Hey Steve great to hear your riding again!

Did you replace that JK with a new one? 2 door 4 door ? any mods yet?

Hope ya did, they are fun rigs.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 PM

Glad to hear you're on 2 wheels again Steve. Going without for a bit helps you realize how much you really love it, eh ?
I went 4 years when I couldn't afford it. I vowed never again after my 1st ride back. Hopefully, with my wife short on clients/work, I can keep that vow.