Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:04 AM

Unhappy really need help with my electrical

I have 99 ec250, about 3 months ago my bike lost its fire. I have tested the power coming from stator and it looks good. I just bought a new cdi and a new coil. I still have no spark. I am completly confused. could it be the pickup senser from the side of the stator? And to add to it, it ran just after i put te parts on and then i killed it with the switch. I then went to go ride the next day and noting again. Somebody pplease help.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Here are the places I would start with...

Check for loose connections, cut wires and shorts. A multi-meter can be very helpful.

Disconnect the kill switch and check. Sometimes they get a short.

Try a new spark plug. They may look good and have enough resistance not to run.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:12 AM

The stator tends to be the weakest link in the electrical system. The pulse coil may very well be the problem. There is a an old suzuki pulse coil that works, but I don't remember whick year and size RM it comes from. I will try to find out today.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)
Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Default update

I put on a new plug, checked all the connections, and pulled off and checked the kill switch. Still nothing! I am hoping it is the pulse coil because it's all that's left. I am getting power to the cdi but on my meter nothing is coming out. Could that be caused by the pulse coil not working?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Check for a broken wire behind the left radiator.
The harness can chafe on the radiator tank, causing the open circuit or short to ground.

My '98 250 had that problem.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:59 PM

Default pulse coil

Ok I am not getting anything from the pulse coil wires. There should be a low level charge correct? I called and cannot get a pulse coil by itself so does anyone know of a substitue?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosenut View Post
The stator tends to be the weakest link in the electrical system. The pulse coil may very well be the problem. There is a an old suzuki pulse coil that works, but I don't remember whick year and size RM it comes from. I will try to find out today.
Is this similar on an 06 FSE450? I am experiencing the same issues.
Thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco-hunter View Post
Ok I am not getting anything from the pulse coil wires. There should be a low level charge correct? I called and cannot get a pulse coil by itself so does anyone know of a substitue?
Your meter should be on Hz, with the leads hooked to the pulse coil wires, you should get a voltage spike every time the raised block passes the pulse coil.
If you are getting a spike, then it's not the pulse coil.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Default rm stator

I have not confirmed it yet but does anyone know if the 92 rm stator works in the 99 ec250. It looks to be the same.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:16 PM

My '04 EC300 did the same thing. It was caused by a dead pulse coil, which as you know GasGas doesn't list seperate from the rest of the stator. The pulse coil showed a totally open circuit when tested across the 2 leads, shoud have had a fairly low resistance, but I don't remember what that spec was off hand. Jack Bondus at Road Track and Trail gave me the resistance spec for the coil and tracked down the correct Suzuki part, which fixed the problem quite cheaply (seems like it was only $15 - $20). Mike Baxter (loosenut) knew this, and called asking if I had the part number to reply to this thread. I KNOW I saved the box to have the part number available, but I've looked all over my garage and can't find it (no smart ass comments, Baxter). Therefore, I'm going to recommend you give Jack a call and see if HE remembers.
Of course, having posted this I'll probably find the box tonight. If so, I'll post it (although having posted THAT may just keep the damn thing hidden).

Tim H