Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Fake Plate

I've been thinking of using an old plate on the back of my bike, just for looks. I have no plans to ever ride it on the street, but, it just looks legit if ever you have to ride down a section of road to get to another trail.

It occured to me that I could get in heap big trouble if that plate was not registered to me though, so I found an alternative....
I work for an electric utility and we put these little plates on all of our poles to mark them. It all of a sudden occurred to me, that plate would look HOT on the back of my bike. It's thin and long. Sort of like a Euro plate, so I dreamed up a random number and bolted it to the mudflap on the back of my bike, sideways. It looks totally cool, and it has no date, and no state, unless EWEB is a state somewhere in the world. It's even yellow, the same color as my state's MC plates. How fun is that?

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 AM

For $33 i put a real one on mine.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:24 AM

Some years back, all that was required for enduros here was a "plate", or I should say all that was checked at tech. The common practice was to use an old plate from a road bike. Not really legal but unenforced, more like just an effort to look legal. Enduros are a different story where the cops involved are usually very cool and there are a lot of riders, I would not do that on the road in other situations.

We got pulled over before Xmas on a deadend road coming out of the woods near my brothers house. The cop (older guy, not a skinhead) was cool and just sent us on our way down the street after checking our paperwork. He could have gave us a lot of trouble. He told me my partially mud covered VT plate got his attention, imagine that over the obvious 2-stroke race bike! Also told me he hates quads tearing things up and that is the main target of enforcement.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I've been thinking of using an old plate on the back of my bike, just for looks. I have no plans to ever ride it on the street, but, it just looks legit if ever you have to ride down a section of road to get to another trail.

It occured to me that I could get in heap big trouble if that plate was not registered to me though, so I found an alternative....
I work for an electric utility and we put these little plates on all of our poles to mark them. It all of a sudden occurred to me, that plate would look HOT on the back of my bike. It's thin and long. Sort of like a Euro plate, so I dreamed up a random number and bolted it to the mudflap on the back of my bike, sideways. It looks totally cool, and it has no date, and no state, unless EWEB is a state somewhere in the world. It's even yellow, the same color as my state's MC plates. How fun is that?
Don't tell me you have a 3 phase clothesline at home too.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
mud covered VT plate got his attention
Mine to I know VT is pretty easy but you can't register the GG in NJ?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM

What exactly is the deal with registering in VT? do they by chance not need certain lights? anyone know the fees? i've searched can't find anything real exact.

btw, DE300
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Jeff,

No, you can't. NJ has a master list of homolagated bikes, if your bike is not on it no registration, despite what your MSO says or does not say. This started in '07. In addition to street bikes, only true dual sports like the DRZ, KTM EXC and Husky TE can now be legally registered.

redrider,

Go to the VT DMV site and look around. It was a matter of filling out a couple forms and sending $$. Not sure if it has changed in the last year but I still renewed mine. Remember, you will not have an inspection sticker, just a registration. For me this and insurance was good enough.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Harry View Post
Don't tell me you have a 3 phase clothesline at home too.
It rains a lot in Oregon, no clothesline for me. Although, I've thought a 3 phase 12.47KV electric fence would be cool, especially with some of the strange traffic we get walking through our property. Nothing stolen, just litter, and some vandalism.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

how bout posting a pic of said tag install?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 PM

Here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plate1small.jpg (123.0 KB, 61 views)
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Last edited by roostafish; 01-08-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Added pictures.