Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 AM

Default Improving my "woods" skills

I have only been a dedicated "woods" rider since Oct. 2011. Before that, more than 23 years have passed since I've owned a bike. The last couple of months I have been riding with some seriously accomplished riders(scary fast). I have determined, given the company I've been keeping, I suck! The positive: I don't get demoralized by getting dusted off, like I'm dragging a boat anchor. Another positive: I always enjoy my seat time. The guys I've been riding with have been patient & very gracious. I have improved way beyond where I imagined I'd be in 8 months. I can't wait 'till my son-in-law returns home in July. I still need to get "smooth" as I am an energy wasting machine. I guess time & more practice will be my friends. Thanks to those who've included me on their outings! Great Fun! Bill
Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 AM

You can attend any of the off road schools like the ones Shane Watts or Jason Raines put on. Those classes will take your riding to a whole new level.

If you can't find any in your area, You can go to youtube and Wattsy has his own page there. You can watch hours of techniques and exercises that you can practice anywhere. It's usually some of the most basic things where you can pick up the most on.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

+1 on training - I just did a training day with chris birch and most of the stuff we did was v slow speed drills - full lock figure 8's, small blip-wheelies etc. reasoning being that your balance and clutch control at those speeds are exaggerated and will help you at high speed once they feel natuarl
if you are new to the sport it will help you even more before you become good at doing it wrong, i now need to get rid of some bad habits!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the input. Aside from riding, crashing, riding, & crashing some more...Hours spent watching videos has helped a lot. Realistically, I have progressed way beyond the guys I used to normally ride with, with exception of my son-in-law, who's an animal on his Gasser. Unlike my friends, I have the time and desire to ride at a higher level. I do see a riding school in my future. I love the debates...2-stroke vs 4-stroke, Sitting vs standing, etc.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

2T vs 4T / Standing vs Sitting / Riding vs Siteseeing See the relationship! lol

Seat time is your friend and it sounds like you're getting pleanty of it. The real challenge is to push your limits without biting off more than you can chew. Trashing the bike, your body and sometimes even your confidence doesn't help too much. Like others have said the basic skills are the same slow or fast. Probably even harder to do slow (think wheelies). I've never had the chance to do a training day but would jump if I could. For me I have a small trail close to home which is tight (1st gear on the pipe/2nd lugging). Very technical in terms of leaf litter, vines, trees, fallen trees, rocks, vertical drops and rises, and off camber turns. I just go out and see how long I can ride it without putting a foot down. It will take your body language, clutch, brake and throttle control to a new level.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 PM

I'm actually pretty lucky, road & mountain biking has kept me in pretty good shape. Some of the MTB, transfers to the motorbike. I do get out quite a bit. 1-3 times a week. I've discovered a little play area, where I can practice things like log hopping, riding up & over boulders, etc. I'm well aware of my weaknesses, and have been working to resolve those issues. Mostly, I need to stop being in such a hurry and ride smoothly & cleanly through the tight-twisties. Regardless of my lacking skills, it's a ton of FUN!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:21 AM

Good info in this thread. I've been riding off road for about 2-1/2 years now. I've enjoyed it so much I ended up selling my street bikes, they were just sitting in the garage. I've got the first 2 Shane Watts dvds and need to rewatch them again. I still sit down most of the time but am trying to stand up more. Subscribed.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-24-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlt828 View Post
I've been riding off road for about 2-1/2 years now. I still sit down most of the time
Ride as often as personal(i.e. family) commitment, & your wallet allows. Once I figured out the who's who in my area, I started riding with the local enduro guys at every opportunity. Take off your seat...I still do this perodically, when out by myself(don't overdo it 'till you build some stamina, the subframe ain't very comfy to sit on). I watch lots of different vids. My biggest reason for improvement...I want to be a better off-road rider, so I dedicate the time & energy to do so. Second reason, I like riding...with a group or by myself.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Depending on where you live I find even simple things like having a log in the back yard and just spending 20mins hopping it, doing full lock turns, working the clutch, balancing etc all just off idle at walking pace is beneficial.

I think as long as you're critical of how you ride and have a desire to improve, are open to others suggestions, willing to try (and fail), you will without a doubt improve. I don't know how long I've been riding now. Would have to be at least 5 years, even though it only feels like it was just last week.

I remember the learning curve as clear as day. The small trail trash that used to bring me undone. Locking the front brake in muddy corners and taking a dirty sample. Being intimidated by steep downhills. I see it all as part of the natural learning curve. Once the bike control skills increase you find the minds confidence grows and the intimidation and fear resides. Just keep having fun and working within your skills and they'll improve in no time.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

What worked for me was to keep my legs at 179* (almost dead straight) and rock back and fore on the pegs to achieve neutral balance. You should have almost no weight on your hands, and you should not be holding yourself up with your arms. Your knees should be lightly gripping the bike to keep your balance. Perfect fore and aft balance is tough to explain, but once you find it you pop right up and stay there. I got 2.2 hours on my meter on my first trail ride in two months, and I was not even close to sore when we got back to the truck. Let me tell you the 2.2 hours was not an easy ride. But, by keeping my balance in all situations, I was able to stay up rather easily.